Cooly568

AMD Or Intel?  

2,045 members have voted

1. 1. AMD Or Intel?

So, which is better?

AMD?

Or

Intel?

I prefer AMD because they give the same performance as Intel\'s for much less.

I would like your response because I am getting a new motherboard, Ram, and processor soon.

My last 2 rigs have been Intel.

I used AMD Athlons for many years as well.

I can\'t tell much difference between the two to be honest. Intel excels at brute force calculations and AMD optimizes the hell out of everything.

What i find more important these days, is to match Intel CPU\'s with Nvidia graphics cards and AMD CPU\'s with ATI cards.

While an Intel CPU will work with an ATI GPU, and an AMD CPU will work with an Nvidia GPU, Intels are more optimized to work with nvidia and AMD\'s are optimized to work with ATI, because the makers of both chips are the same companies.

Intel/ATI or AMD/Nvidia setups just feels to me like buying a Ford and putting Chevy parts on it. One is not designed with the other in mind.

i3 then.

Actually if his budget is low enough, he might get to a price where an AMD APU could beat out any Intel + GPU, or just Intel without a GPU performance. AMD\'s low-end integrated graphics tend to be much better than Intel\'s integrated graphics. However, as soon as you get to a price where you can afford a graphics card, Intel wins.

AMD\'s low-end integrated graphics tend to be much better than Intel\'s integrated graphics.

Intel integrated graphics have sucked pretty hardcore. Historically, anything in a laptop with Intel graphics was useless for gaming.

The stuff in sandy bridge is pretty cool though.

I already have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 TI

Intel then.

Intel integrated graphics have sucked pretty hardcore. Historically, anything in a laptop with Intel graphics was useless for gaming.

Thats what i have, thats why i have a whole thread dedicated to getting a new comp.

Can someone tell me a Intel 4-Core 3.2 GHz or higher, that is less than $130.00?

the i3\'s fall under that price range.

Once you have 2 hyperthreaded cores, processor speed starts becoming more important then number of cores again, Since most programs these days are single threaded, and at most take advantage of only 2-4 cores anyways.

a single core at 5Ghz will compute a million digits of pi faster then an 8 core processor running at 2Ghz, when given only a single thread to compute with.

AMD\'s APU\'s still beat Intelgrated.

I\'d go for an i5 ($175 to $250), an Asus mobo ($150 or so), and 8gb of DDR3 from mushkin (should go for about $50)

What about a graphics card?

I don\'t feel well informed enough to give you something you should buy. I\'m not really up to date on the i3 line and I\'d feel terrible if I give you bad advice.

I think Ivy bridge is supposed to come out soon, which will drop the prices of sandy bridge architecture processors, and that may push a sandy bridge i5 into your price range. Which would be even better.

he has an Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 TI he is going to transplant into his new build.

Oh, didn\'t see that.

And by the way, stay away from Ivy Bridge if you are doing any overclocking. They suck at head dissipation because Intel decided to go and use thermal paste on the heat spreader.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/overclocking_site_solves_mystery_behind_higher_ivy_bridge_temperatures

Is this a good processor?

Intel Core i3-550 Dual Core, 4MB L3 Cache, 512KB L2 Cache, 3.20 GHz, 73W, Fan $119.96

I69-0550_chiclet01_aa_6307264.jpg

If there is one that is LGA 1155 instead of 1156, you would have a valid upgrade path to a core i7 when they get cheap enough or you save up money for one.

This one is a little over your price range, but I think it might be worth it for the extra speed and the ability to upgrade to an i5 or i7 later.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115092

Follow your heart. If you want to go AMD, go for it. Your Nvidia WILL work just fine. You just may lose like %0.09 performance or something.

My question is, will this be good for gaming?

My uneducated opinion says yes.

3.4 Ghz is no slouch as far as processors go, and you\'ve got 4 cores, which is enough for any game right now.

Paired with 8 to 16gb of fast DDR3, and a decent graphics card and the numbers seem to line up.

What you really need though is a flux capacitor. ?_?

You need to stop asking people 'What parts do I buy to make a sick rig?' and go do your homework. There are tons of websites that review and benchmark all kinds of hardware. Why aren\'t you pouring over them and making your own judgments?

Now I\'m an honest person, and I\'d never knowingly steer you wrong, but I don\'t build computers all day and there are trolls in other places on the internets that are not so kind.

What if someone recommended you a bunch of hardware knowing the parts would be incompatible, just to mess with you. Could you tell?

socket, gHz barely matter these days. A Core Duo at 2.6 GHz will lose to a Core 2 Duo (more advanced architecture and other advances) running at 2.2 GHz.

A Pentium 4 at 3.8 GHz or whatever their highest numbers got to will still lose to the lowest i3.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.