Ion SSTO

This SSTO is my first Ion powered SSTO to be successful. Note that it isn't fully Ion-powered, and that the Ion engines should be used as a boost to get into orbit. It is 100% stock. From what I've heard, the rule is "no picks, no clicks", so here is a picture:

AFF470CBCB5F8D59E7215C1B91361081024FFF19

Hotkeys/Action Groups: 1-Turns on/off single TurboJet Engine

2-Turns on/off both Ion Engines

3-Toggles RAM Air Intakes

4-Extends solar panels (don't press until at least around 40 Kilometers).

5-Extends Ladder

NOTE: It is unnecessary but beneficial to press 3 before the flight to reduce drag. Once the air intake amount reaches about 0.10, press 3 to increase intake air amount.

Also, this is one of my first attempts at an SSTO since I have focused mainly on rockets.

Download Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9u73r9nbq1ppvu/Ion%20SSTO.craft?dl=0

Edited by JackDugan

Looking good Jack, great first post, great first ssto and welcome to the forums! Fantastic job getting your first ssto into orbit with ion power. Any idea how much further it can go or how much delta V it has at LKO?

Looking good Jack, great first post, great first ssto and welcome to the forums! Fantastic job getting your first ssto into orbit with ion power. Any idea how much further it can go or how much delta V it has at LKO?

Thanks! At LKO it has about 5400 m/s of Delta-V. It may be about ±500 of that number depending on just how good of a pilot you are. It isn't a lot, but it is probably enough to leave Kerbin's SOI and return, although it is certainly not enough to attempt an interplanetary transfer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.