African Headache Treatment

rtxoff

Not any worse than trepanning. If the hits are superficial and not causing lasting damage, "curing" people through placebo effect, it works. Real medical attention is always better, but hard to find such things in a place where there are none, and if this is saving people, it is acceptable.

Would be much better if they have a shaman who is an actual botanist and use herbal medicine though.

Edited by RainDreamer

It's not.

Then it is not acceptable. I do not have knowledge of the situation there and any of my opinion is about as valid as a sneeze in the wind. I am simply saying that, while it is objectively better to have an actual medical professional looking into health problems, there are cases that we can't get those objectively better things, and have to settle for shady methods, which sometimes work thanks to placebo effect. Kind of like acupuncture. It doesn't do any actual medical effect that we know of. But it doesn't harm people in any way physically, and the placebo effect helps people feel better.

Of course, this is all out of the window when someone is trying to peddle placebo for actual treatment for the same price. That should be shut down.

Edited by Vanamonde

You don't think smacking somebody repeatedly in the head is physically harmful?

As I said, if it is only superficial instead of actual smacking that can cause concussion. Like how acupuncture only puncture through your skin and doesn't do much more. Also, don't take my opinion here to hold any value since I don't actually know anything more than what is shown. I can be very wrong and all that.

This is funny because I get what are called cluster headaches. They are bad. They are the worst headache one can have. Completely debilitating.

Caffeine works really well. Aleve, Cup of coffee, big glass of ice water and warm towel. I'll be feeling alright. So I think I'll stick with that.

Inhaling peppermint oil fumes and inducing a brain freeze works too.

Edited by Motokid600

As someone who suffered, and I do mean suffered, from migraines my usual method involves 4 extra strength Advil Liquid Gels to get home, then 4 Tylenol with codeine and the darkest, quietest room or closet in my house until it stops. If it is in the spring/summer that is usually when my neighbor will fine tune his Harley. Ouch :(

My biggest hate is for people who say 'Migraines? Oh those are just bad headaches right'. At that point I wish for vice to stuff their head in and an icepick so I can make them, maybe, understand what it's like.

It's unconventional, but if it works and isn't destructive, then I see no reason so condemn it.

For example, when I get headaches I take about a fistful of hair from the very top of my head and pull until the pressure outways the headache. It works for me.

No drugs required.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.