Problem getting part to show up in KSP

Squiggsy

Hello I'm pretty new to the forum and very new to modding KSP, I recently started making an inline command module, created it in blender, got it all imported into Unity no problems with textures attached, set up collision mesh for the object, as well as one for the hatch and one for the ladder (followed instructions from this forum for those, tagged ladder and airlock, set to "is trigger" put in layer 21 named it Part Triggers) followed Part Tools instructions from multiple tutorials, got it all exported as a .mu and .mbm textures, created my .cfg (in truth I copied and edited one for the Mk1 Command Pod to try and ensure i didn't go wrong anywhere), but when i attempt to put it into my ksp folder and load it in the VAB it just isn't there, the game doesnt complain or fail to load, it just doesn;t have the part there, I have no idea where I have gone wrong or what information i need to provide to be useful but if there is anyone who could give me any pointers in the right direction that would be super I have spent a lot of time making this and its incredibly frustrating that it just refuses to show up.

thanks!

If it's not complaining in the log I would first check to make sure that the "name = " parameter is something unique. I had an instance where an IVA I made wouldn't show up even though I had done everything that tutorials had said, and it wouldn't complain about it in the log. It turned out that I had forgotten to change the name parameter to a unique name causing the model to not display.

Other than that I would suggest double checking the path to your model, though I would think that it would complain in the log if it couldn't find the model. That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope it helps.

ah no I have just checked the debug menu and it says "[Error]: PartCompiler: Cannot clone model from 'Test Mod/inlineCommandPod' directory as model does not exist" and before that "[Error]: PartCompiler: Cannot compile part" and "[Error]: PartCompiler: Cannot compile model"

I then decided to simplify things a bit and put the model back through unity, this time only giving it a box collider, and now it DOES freeze while loading and returns "[Exception]: ArgumentException: The requested value 'Command' was not found."

edit: it seems this is because I had the object type as "Command" instead of "Pods"

- - - Updated - - -

it's working now! well a simplified version of it is, only a box collision mesh and no mesh's for airlock and ladders, need to do that now and see if it still works,

E.Nygma does that mean each individual part of the object needs to be its own game object if you are adding a collision mesh to them individually? if so that would explain why it wasn't working before.

thanks for the replies people :)

Edited by Squiggsy

Well I've realized what it is causing it, when I correctly set up the airlock and ladder (at least i think correctly, put them under the object in the hierarchy, which is then under part tools, set as "is a trigger") it errors and won't load the model, saying "[Error]: PartCompiler: Cannot clone model from 'Test Mod/inlineCommandPod' directory as model does not exist", but it works fine as soon as i remove the ladder and airlock mesh's, any ideas?

Hi,

are "Ladder" and "Airlock" just the respective mesh or an actual game object?

The hierarchy should be:

->Game Object w. PartTools attached

->Game Object

->Mesh w. collider

->Game Object

->Mesh w. collider

and so forth...

Maybe I could take a look at your unity project?

Cheers

EDIT:

To answer your question: I don't know much about ladders, but basically, yes, every mesh with a collider needs to be a seperate unity game object because unity only supports one collider per game object...

Cheers

Edited by E.Nygma

Forgot to edit this last night to say its been semi-solved though I don't know quite how! all I did was put it back to how it was before (just like how you have shown it up there) and now it works fine, although I got the orientation of the model wrong in blender so now when the kerbal leaves he grabs on to the ladder while hanging on to thin air at 90 degrees to it :\ but it loads and accepts that there is a ladder and airlock there now :)

seriously thank you, this whole forum has been incredibly friendly and helpful and accepting of my current incompetence :P.

I am having a different problem now though, with a different part, it all loaded up fine and seemed to work ok but when i click on it in the VAB and place it, I then can't pick it up again, or interact with it in any way whatsoever, do you have any ideas about what might be causing this or shall i start a new thread? (it has an emission animation if theres any chance it's that which is causing problems)

Edit: Nope I fixed it I was just being silly and forgot to add a collision mesh since I restarted the project in Unity 4.2.2 to get the animation to work, thats embarrassing

Edited by Squiggsy

I couldn't pass this thread up. A thing to note:

Any mesh collider which is not marked "convex" will fall through the ground instead of colliding with it. A obvious problem with this is that you can't pass through a part which is supposed to be open in the middle unless it's collider is not "convex". There is a simple way around this. Split the model in blender into convex hulls, then each part in unity gets its own convex Mesh collider.

Welcome to the modding addiction!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.