Does coffee works for you?

RainDreamer

Currently, I am downing a RedBull to prepare for a long haul writing a research proposal for my study, otherwise I would fall asleep mid way writing such boring things (*fingercross* hope I finish it before the crash). But the reason I choose Redbull is because coffee just flat out doesn't work for me. I can still fall sleep after drinking straight up espresso (which has a horrible taste) and just makes my urine smell like coffee later on. Wonders if my body just doesn't like coffee. I suspect Redbull and energy drink works for me due to placebo effect, or they just have higher caffeine content.

So how about you, does coffee works for you to keep you up?

Edited by RainDreamer

i don't drink much caffeine, so when i do have it, it has a major effect on me.

sugar on the other hand, does absolutely nothing to affect my energy even when i was little (but that's probably because i was bouncing off the walls no matter what :3)

i have a friend though that actually gets sleepy when he gets caffeine.

yea, i don't get it either.

To me, RedBull tastes like liquid Smarties candies. I don't find any 'boost' from it other than the sugar. I prefer eating the candies lol.

smarties.jpg

Coffee however... I live on it. I love coffee. It doesn't keep me awake, I can fall asleep if I choose, but it does help if I choose to stay awake. With sugar and cream please! :cool:

I suspect Redbull and energy drink works for me due to placebo effect, or they just have higher caffeine content.

It looks like Red Bull only has about 80 mg of caffeine in it. If the coffee you're drinking only has 80 mg of caffeine in it, you're doing it wrong. :wink:

Coffee and I are old friends. Accept no substitutes. :)

It works, and is preferable to energy drinks for me (I drank a lot of them back in high school/college, and my intestines always cried for help afterwards). And even if coffee didn't work, I'd still probably drink it - I like the taste and the ritual of preparing one is a welcomed part of my daily routine.

I wouldn't know, since I don't want to get into the habit of drinking coffee. I'm not into soda or energy drinks either; I don't know what it is but I just do not want to drink them. My drink of choice is water or milk. :P

I mean, coffee smells good, but that's it.

It depends on what kind of coffee you are drinking and how much... In many places in the world, "coffee" means espresso or some variation thereon. North American style filter coffee is surprisingly high in caffeine by comparison to a shot of espresso. According to that link, 250 ml of filter coffee has a lot more caffeine than a red bull's 80 mg.

I do not drink it, or soda, or energy drinks. Not because they do not work, but because I have not tried them and do not want to make a habit of using them.

When I 'need' to stay awake, I usually get up and walk or run around a bit, then go back to work.

Caffeine has no effect on me. Years of drinking coke, I think my body built up an immunity to it. I can drink coffee right before bed, and fall right asleep. If I am dragging in the morning, coffee doesn't help me wake up at all.

Even after going almost a year without drinking soda and minimal caffeine, it still has no effect.

I guess it is really placebo then. Funny how that works even when you know it is so.

I don't think caffeine is a placebo? Maybe it doesn't work for you, but it certainly gives a lot of people a buzz. It picks me up after lunch when my body desperately wants a nap but my boss and coworkers would frown on me for giving in to the urge. I've always taken my coffee without sugar or cream so it isn't those that are giving me the lift, either.

I do not drink it, or soda, or energy drinks. Not because they do not work, but because I have not tried them and do not want to make a habit of using them.

When I 'need' to stay awake, I usually get up and walk or run around a bit, then go back to work.

I am exactly the same. Having an addiction, even to caffeine, just sounds scary.

I don't think caffeine is a placebo? Maybe it doesn't work for you, but it certainly gives a lot of people a buzz. It picks me up after lunch when my body desperately wants a nap but my boss and coworkers would frown on me for giving in to the urge. I've always taken my coffee without sugar or cream so it isn't those that are giving me the lift, either.

I mean, the effect of getting more alert due to something with less caffeine than real coffee. Unless taurine or some other stuff in energy drink enhance caffeine effect, which I have seen studies says it is opposite. Or maybe I am getting the buzz from sugar. Hmm...

I am exactly the same. Having an addiction, even to caffeine, just sounds scary.

As far as I know, there is no such thing as caffeine addiction, or at least it has never been recorded. You can have a mild physical dependence, but not an addiction (as per definition - a compulsive and pathological behaviour to seek rewarding stimuli despite adverse consequences).

Ok please don't get annoyed anyone it's probley just my taste buds but for me it's horrible it's so bad it's revolts me I've tried it one of my freinds drinks it all the time and always wants me to try it and every time I hate it but eh it's just my opinon.

Caffeine has no effect on me. Years of drinking coke, I think my body built up an immunity to it. I can drink coffee right before bed, and fall right asleep. If I am dragging in the morning, coffee doesn't help me wake up at all.

Even after going almost a year without drinking soda and minimal caffeine, it still has no effect.

Me too, I've drunk mountain dew for years, once I drunk 14 pints of it in 2 hours. I can drink a few cans of caffeinated soda and go right to sleep, and dozing's pretty easy with caffeine if I'm in that state of drowsiness or relaxation. Pretty much the only things that caffeinated drinks do to wake me up is shock me with hot or cold or strong/unusual taste. Pretty much the only thing that caffeine does for me is make it easier to write, without it I'm like "Gotta get it perfect! It's been 20 mins on this one sentence but I have to get it perfect!" but with caffeine everything just flows and I can calm down about the whole process, let whatever comes from my mind get out uninterrupted, and let an idea "come alive" and sort've write itself.

I mainly drink coffee because it's hot and to me tastes better than tea. It's for clearing my throat.

And as a rule, I don't drink any for the rest of the day after my last one just before dinner.

But if it works at keeping me awake, I wouldn't know.

What I do know, is that I absolutely hate Red Bull. Even when some is offered to me while performing my previous job by two beatiful women by the side of the road driving a Red Bull themed Mini with a can on the roof...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.