Falling Missiles

Don't we all want to have a missile that works like this?

W1oiOJn.gif

The reason real life missiles do this is because it is safer, but it isn't necessary in KSP (parts don't fail), but it does feel cooler and more realistic if we have it. Something like this is weird to recreate in KSP. I have made a small missile (of which have two versions) that does this (note: downloads are subassemblies):

1) Attach Directly to wing version [DOWNLOAD]

zhARf12.gif

VNFKb4d.png

2) Cargo-bay; attach via node version [DOWNLOAD]

hKguQ8r.gif

o2qE5lA.png

In real life, the missiles have a delayed engine activation, which you cannot (modless) do in KSP. We have to activate the rockets, but have them blocked for a second, and then unblock them. OKTO2 overheats easily when fired at with sepetrons, thus, all that has to be done is have a main missile body with probe control, sepetrons, and torque(will explain later) and have a OKTO2 block the thrust of the sepetrons (after a couple seconds the OKTO2 will overheat and explode, thus letting the sepetrons thrust away.

If put a missile in a small cargo-bay (see second gif), the missile will most likely get caught in the back and break your plane and it will not be a good day. So I put a little rocket fuel and some rocket engines on it to fire it downwards. It will clear the bay no matter what acceleration or orientation. The fuel depleting will offset the thrusts a little and a reaction system will make it not pitch or yaw into the wrong directions when that happens. The torque is also nice to roll stability (it will make sure that the rocket engines always point up).

I will probably make more missiles.

Edited by manni01

Ekhm, ekhm:

:D It's nice to make such a threads. More people will see the idea of 'two staged' missiles ;d

I knew about yours, but they and some of my prototypes couldn't clear the cargobay. So I sort of did some tweaking, adding engines pointing upwards, and voila; they don't disintegrate the plane upon launch :D

Edited by manni01

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.