Odd bit of Windows XP weirdness

vger

For someone who has probably reinstalled this 100 times on different computers, this really has me scratching my head.

Fresh install, not even a week old. The system drive containing the OS is an SSD. I suddenly notice a long delay when I preview an image file on the desktop. After a couple days of this, I notice that I'm hearing a hard drive spin every time I do this. Turns out that whenever I preview an image, it behaves as if it's reading the file from one of my other drives, even though I know it's stored on the SSD.

Even weirder, this ONLY happens if I preview a file on the desktop. It doesn't happen if I preview a file from any other folder on the SSD.

Any ideas, before I just reinstall again to see if this goes away as mysteriously as it appeared?

Maybe you should stop using this extremly old and unsafe piece of software, afaik Windows XP isnt even able to handle SSDs right.

It's a new problem to me. Been using SSD's with it for a while now and there was no trouble. No hardware changes since the last install, and I don't think the OS magically aged within a week. ;)

And if I wanted snarky comments about old software I would have asked for it. Maybe if Win10 proves to NOT be designed with only mobile devices in mind.

Edited by vger

May be it storing thumbnail on the HDD? Where is %TMP ? Use any Disk activity monitor to determine what software is accessing HDD during building a thumbnail.

May be it storing thumbnail on the HDD? Where is %TMP ? Use any Disk activity monitor to determine what software is accessing HDD during building a thumbnail.

Temp files are on C.

Seems previewing an image file is prompting explorer to execute a bunch of readfiles, and even a couple of write files to the master data table $Directory on the D drive. (desktop is on C with the system files). Even more odd, it's reading and writing to a couple of game directories that have nothing to with that. This glitch is repeatable. And a quick reminder, this ONLY happens if I preview an image in the desktop folder. Anywhere else on C, this doesn't happen.

Will probably just try another fresh install and see if it goes away. Seems like somehow it thinks the desktop is on D, even though the file loads properly. Or somehow it wrote the data table for JUST the desktop folder, to D. I can't imagine that being possible, and if it is, I'd think the system would be terribly unstable.

Edited by vger

Is the Indexing Service running?

Yes, though I switched it off for the drive it keeps mysteriously accessing. It shouldn't be causing that to happen anyway. It's always the same directories that get accessed when I preview the image file and there's nothing significant about them.

Knowing how Windows likes to keep track of everything you do, did you maybe in the past view files in those other directories? I've seen such odd behavior before myself... an external terabyte drive I had been leaving plugged in... no reason to go to it, yet I'd see the drive light up with certain things I'd do - Windows Photo Viewer being one of them. Perhaps it's got something to do with recent/history some of these programs keep?

Knowing how Windows likes to keep track of everything you do, did you maybe in the past view files in those other directories?

Since the most recent install, I hadn't touched those directories at all. And the install was only a week old. I hadn't even installed all my default programs yet, let alone add anything unusual.

It was so apples to oranges I can't even imagine what the heck was happening. It would be like you were asking for a permit to build a deck on your property, and then the inspector doing nothing but checking to make sure your car insurance was up to date. Weirdest thing I've ever seen Windows do.

Reinstalled again, and the problem has vanished.

Ghost in the frikkin machine...

For someone who has probably reinstalled this 100 times on different computers, this really has me scratching my head.

Fresh install, not even a week old. The system drive containing the OS is an SSD. I suddenly notice a long delay when I preview an image file on the desktop. After a couple days of this, I notice that I'm hearing a hard drive spin every time I do this. Turns out that whenever I preview an image, it behaves as if it's reading the file from one of my other drives, even though I know it's stored on the SSD.

Even weirder, this ONLY happens if I preview a file on the desktop. It doesn't happen if I preview a file from any other folder on the SSD.

Any ideas, before I just reinstall again to see if this goes away as mysteriously as it appeared?

Your problem is in the title. Stop using an OS that was developed thirteen years ago. You're not going to fix the issue.

Your problem is in the title. Stop using an OS that was developed thirteen years ago. You're not going to fix the issue.

The X Window System, a major part of the Linux Desktop, is some 29 years old. The problem is in the arrogance in thinking newer is better.

-----

I'm curious though, did you try unassigning the drive letter via diskpart or diskmgmt.msc ?

The X Window System, a major part of the Linux Desktop, is some 29 years old. The problem is in the arrogance in thinking newer is better.

If you knew a bit XFree86, Xorgs today has almost nothing in common anymore with what it was 29 years ago, it evolved a lot. It's open source and consequently, it has evolved continuously.

You can not say the same about XP.

Maybe you should stop using this extremly old and unsafe piece of software, afaik Windows XP isnt even able to handle SSDs right.

Did... Did you insult XP?

XP is the greatest piece of software windows ever developed. They shouldn't have dropped support. Especially since the newer OSes are more mobile device oriented. Unless they decide to not do that...

Ontopic:

Vger, I can't help you with the diagnosis. Maybe force it to use the drive you want?

XP is the greatest piece of software windows ever developed. They shouldn't have dropped support. Especially since the newer OSes are more mobile device oriented. Unless they decide to not do that...

XP is not good. He is just less worse than the following ones...

I'm curious though, did you try unassigning the drive letter via diskpart or diskmgmt.msc ?

No, though I did unplug the drive and reboot to see what would happen, and it didn't complain about anything. Plugged the drive back in and it resumed the odd behavior.

Reinstalled again and it went away. So the issue is now fixed.

I was planning on a fresh install anyhow but was more curious to try and figure out exactly what and why it was doing this.

And seriously, those of you who can only say "get rid of XP, it's old" is like telling a guy on the street, "why do you use cardboard for the walls of your house? I find that wood and siding is much more secure."

Edited by vger

Once I tried to create simplest program with single pushbutton using very early version of Delphi, just to check what such small program does when it starts. It was in windows 95/98 times.

Innumerable count of registry keys were accessed, and a lot of files opened for reading, without any valid reason. It even opened a ... surprise! ... autoexec.bat!

Why single button application needs know contents of autoexec.bat? Windows ...

Since the most recent install, I hadn't touched those directories at all. And the install was only a week old. I hadn't even installed all my default programs yet, let alone add anything unusual.

It was so apples to oranges I can't even imagine what the heck was happening. It would be like you were asking for a permit to build a deck on your property, and then the inspector doing nothing but checking to make sure your car insurance was up to date. Weirdest thing I've ever seen Windows do.

Reinstalled again, and the problem has vanished.

Ghost in the frikkin machine...

Glad you got it resolved. Ghost in the machine indeed... I've dealt with many of them.

XP is not good. He is just less worse than the following ones...

It's great. You have an efficient and well made piece of software.

XP was easy to use, and when I got the newer ones they looked completely different. They were so much more complicated and not user friendly.

XP was easy to use, and when I got the newer ones they looked completely different. They were so much more complicated and not user friendly.

You know, you have other things and way better things than Windows in this world ^^

People, quit bashing on XP. Software doesn't magically become buggier over time. XP is exactly how it was 2 years ago, it didn't become "less stable" on older hardware.

Anyway, I've experienced a bunch of anomalies in my experience with Windows. Somehow though, reinstalling always seems to cleanse Windows of all its internal problems.

Edited by longbyte1

People, quit bashing on XP. Software doesn't magically become buggier over time. XP is exactly how it was 2 years ago, it didn't become "less stable" on older hardware.

Anyway, I've experienced a bunch of anomalies in my experience with Windows. Somehow though, reinstalling always seems to cleanse Windows of all its internal problems.

...right up until it reloads all the same old problems via patch updates. XP is one of the most patched versions of Win out there. Patches on top of patches. And it does exactly that - become buggier and buggier over time. I come from a time before there was a 'Windows'; I've used them all ... and I still don't like any of them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.