Tighter rover wheel turn radius.

So when I build rovers for roving around on Kerbin, say for doing things like placing markers, going on road trips, or just testing, even, I notice that the rovers have terrible turn radii in comparison to real-life vehicles.

Now I know it's just a game, but it frustrates me that even with front and rear-wheel steering both turning, the turning radius for rovers is terrible! In most cases it is extremely difficult to follow the roads at the KSC.

What if there was a tweakable for the turning radius? Tighter radii would of course be more unstable, and the rovers would roll, but you could also decrease it so you can turn better.

Yeah! I would definitely decrease it by 70% (extreme flip carnavals on mun) but, tweakable wheels sound awesome. Maybe we could tweak the power/impact tolerance by 15% or 30% too for increased mass/electric usage so we could have faster rovers.

Maybe we could tweak the power/impact tolerance by 15% or 30% too for increased mass/electric usage so we could have faster rovers.

Huh, I'm not sure how well tweakable crash tolerance would work... Elaborate :D

I've always felt that the turning radius of a ground vehicle is related to a number of factors:

- The type of steering mechanism (Ackermann? Crab?)

- The current speed of the vehicle (some steering mechanisms behave differently at different speeds)

- The width of the chassis (or the distance between the wheels on both sides of the vehicle)

I suspect that simply modifying a generic "turn radius" variable would have less-than-significant effects on how tightly any generic KSP rover can turn in a general case. I'd rather see new types of steering mechanisms / configuration altogether.

Since rover wheel tweakables seem to be a common request I should probably get back to work on my plugin... But in any case I do have a plugin that adds some tweakables to the rover wheels and turning angle is one of them.

Link: [Tweakable Wheels Thread]

It adds tweakables for steering angle (up to 2x standard steering) as well as motor and brake torque (1-100%)

I won't be able to ensure it works until after 1.0 drops since I don't have access to my computer until May 7, but unless there are major changes to how plugins are loaded or wheels are handled it shouldn't have issues.

Since rover wheel tweakables seem to be a common request I should probably get back to work on my plugin...

Oh excellent! I'll definitely look into using it if I begin to regularly use rovers. Thanks a million!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.