Multiple docking points between two craft?

So long story short, I'm making a space station and for stability's sake, I'd planned to make it hexagonal- spokes on a wheel style. But that'd require me to make, among other things, a -ring- on the outside edge. Is that even possible? If so, HOW?

Yes, this is possible. But it can be very hard to accomplish.

To be able to close the ring you need (near) perfect docking skills. A tiny error at one side can result in severe misalignment at the other. And you'll need to dock multiple ports simultaneously.

The tutorial link in my sig might be of some help.

Multiple docking ports is completely possible. I haven't used the idea for a ring station but I have used it for large cruisers. The ports will connect together if they're close enough and if you missed you might be able to "wiggle" the ship till they stick.

Not sure i'd do that for a station though.

I use multiple docking port connections on all my stations for both alignment and strength purposes

Dock slowly and pretty straight and all the ports (I use three, typically) should all dock at once (you can check whether they all have the 'undock' option after connection)

Have a look at some of my station frames on KerbalX. They should give you enough ideas to get you started.

(The link is in my signature.)

If you want a challenge, download the Hex Array Frame. Launch it and build it. You'll be a docking expert in no time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.