i cannot attach my satellite to my rocket

i just got 1.0, i have no mods installed. in the vab i built a satellite with a 2.5 meter fairing at the bottom. i also built a rocket for it under a separate craft file. i had the rocket's file open and i opened the craft selector and i clicked merge on the satellite. there is nowhere for the satellite to attach to the rocket. the connection should be between the 2.5m separator on top of the rocket and the 2.5m fairing on the bottom of the satellite. there are no green spheres showing the ships are attachable. how do i fix this?

thx

EDIT: anything merged into the rocket's file has no green spheres on it, however the rocket has where they are expected.

Edited by Findthepin1

I haven't played 1.0 yet, but I'll take a guess. This probably means the attachment node is hidden inside the satellite. What I do is open the satellite file or a new craft and place the subassembly, then attach something useless under it, a decoupled or something. Then I hit 4 on the keyboard and click something on the satellite, then the useless part under it. Now the root node is the useless part. Click the fairing now and you should see that green attachment point. Now drop that in the subassembly area and your satellite will attach to anything that comes below it.

I hope that helps!

• 1 month later...

If I understand the process correctly, and I don't claim that I do, you have to make the part you want to connect onto the rocket the "root part". You do this with the Root tool which is the rightmost of the 4 tools at the top of the VAB screen. Looks a bit like a Z. Click on the Root tool, then somewhere on your satellite, then on the new root part, which, I think, in your case will be the fairing at the bottom. The save the satellite and open your rocket stage. You should now, if I understand the system, have a green sphere on the bottom of the fairing.

I'm having the exact same problem and am struggling to find a solution :/
As with subassemblies, the root part on the craft being merged in (so the satellite if you're adding it to the rocket) MUST have a free attachment node.

Not any other part, the ROOT part. The one you chose when you first started building your satellite.

You can use the "Root" editor gizmo (beside the Place, Offset, and Rotate gizmos) to change which part is the root part.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.