Game crashes on start up with -force-opengl launch option

I was using -force-opengl with KSP Beta without any issues. Now I get this Window when trying to launch:

6TOm5Zc.png

• I also use -popupwindow, but turning that off doesn't help
  • I'm not currently running any mods
  • I tried unstalling and launching a clean install but that didn't work
  • The solution in this thread didn't work
  • I also tried the obvious stuff like restarting and updating drivers.

EDIT: I used Steam Beta tab to change my install to "Previous stable release." It launched with -force-OpenGL without any issues. It is definitely an issue with 1.0.

EDIT 2: I changed from windowed to fullscreen and removed the "-popupwindow" launch parameter. The game does launch with -force-OpenGL in fullscreen, but it crashes (same error window) as soon as I turn off fullscreen within the game.

Edited by Virkon

is that your desktop resolution? you could try to switch to another resolution or fullscreen false in the settings.cfg in ksp main folder.

look for something like this but put something your gpu supports.

SCREEN_RESOLUTION_WIDTH = 1920

SCREEN_RESOLUTION_HEIGHT = 1080

FULLSCREEN = True

Also make sure the ksp window is focused, do not switch to something else while it loads.

is that your desktop resolution? you could try to switch to another resolution or fullscreen false in the settings.cfg in ksp main folder.

look for something like this but put something your gpu supports.

SCREEN_RESOLUTION_WIDTH = 1920

SCREEN_RESOLUTION_HEIGHT = 1080

FULLSCREEN = True

Also make sure the ksp window is focused, do not switch to something else while it loads.

The error shows up pretty much as soon as I launch KSP, so there's not even time to switch to other windows.

My main screen resolution is actually 1920x1200, so that is the correct resolution. My GPU can support 4k resolutions so that not the issue.

I did try changing the game to fullscreen. It starts with -force-openGL, but as soon as I change to windowed mode within the game it crashes with the same error window. I like to run it in Window borderless so I would like to keep running it that way like I did with KSP Beta.

can you try to rename-backup your settings.cfg and let the game generate a new one.

It seems many problems are being caused by outdated settings.cfg... then try both directx and opengl

see if the game starts at least

can you try to rename-backup your settings.cfg and let the game generate a new one.

It seems many problems are being caused by outdated settings.cfg... then try both directx and opengl

see if the game starts at least

I already did that too. I deleted everything in the whole KSP folder (including settings.cfg) before doing a clean install from steam. DX works fine and forced openGL works only in fullscreen (doesn't with windowed or -popupwindow modes). However, I still can't get to run in windowed mode (with -popupwindow) with -force-openGL like I'm able to do with KSP beta.

I had the same issue with -force-opengl. I play on a two screen set up and usually run the game with the -popupwindow flag on startup. Now, having installed a few mods, I figured I needed -force-opengl and ran into this.

After a lot of testing (new graphics card drivers, clean install etc) I found that the following steps can help solve the problem:

• Edit the settings.cfg file to make sure the resolution was set to my native resolution, and full screen mode was true.
  • Navigate the registry (you need to run regedit.exe for this) to this location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Squad\Kerbal Space Program
    • There should be four keys there, three of them begin with Screenmanager.
    • The first one should be Fullscreen mode. Make sure it is set to 1.
    • One should be Resolution Height. Make sure this is your native resolution. Choose decimal mode for this one!
    • One should be Resolution Width. Make sure this is your native resolution. Choose decimal mode for this one!

[*] Finally, start the game with the -force-opengl flag. Do NOT use the -popupwindow flag.

This whole issue seems to be with Unity, and there are reports back to 2012 about this particular error.

Disclaimer: This worked on my system, but there's no guarantee that it works on your system. Make a backup of your registry before doing any edits there, in case something messes up.

I had the same issue with -force-opengl. I play on a two screen set up and usually run the game with the -popupwindow flag on startup. Now, having installed a few mods, I figured I needed -force-opengl and ran into this.

After a lot of testing (new graphics card drivers, clean install etc) I found that the following steps can help solve the problem:

• Edit the settings.cfg file to make sure the resolution was set to my native resolution, and full screen mode was true.
  • Navigate the registry (you need to run regedit.exe for this) to this location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Squad\Kerbal Space Program
    • There should be four keys there, three of them begin with Screenmanager.
    • The first one should be Fullscreen mode. Make sure it is set to 1.
    • One should be Resolution Height. Make sure this is your native resolution. Choose decimal mode for this one!
    • One should be Resolution Width. Make sure this is your native resolution. Choose decimal mode for this one!

[*] Finally, start the game with the -force-opengl flag. Do NOT use the -popupwindow flag.

This whole issue seems to be with Unity, and there are reports back to 2012 about this particular error.

Disclaimer: This worked on my system, but there's no guarantee that it works on your system. Make a backup of your registry before doing any edits there, in case something messes up.

It already works in fullscreen without having to change any registry entries. As stated in the original post, my problem is not with OpenGL in fullscreen, but in windowed mode. Forcing OpenGL works just fine when I launch KSP 0.90 in windowed mode with the -popupwindowoption, but KSP 1.0 shows that error window right after launch when I'm launching in windowed mode (with or without "-popupwindow").

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.