Checklist item: Clamps in earlier stage than engines

I really like this idea, and I think it should also warn if the launch clamps detach after engine burn.

I think real rockets actually burn the engines for a second or two prior to releasing the clamps, in order to make sure they're working.

You know what can really bork a launch? Clamps in a LATER stage than your first stage, which is now pushing itself through the rest of your rocket.

My assessment would be that clamps anywhere outside stage 1 should get a "you're aware of that, right?" kind of warning.

The clamps should be set to the bottom stage by default. Only in very certain circumstances would I want it differently.

I disagree.

Like zarakon suggests, I like to start my first stage engines first, spool them up to nominal thrust and then release the launch clamps. You don't want to be releasing the clamps on the rocket, letting it fall for x metres and then start the engines :D

If there was a way it could tell if the clamps were more then one stage after main engine start, that would be handy. Of course an item that stops you from placing clamps before MES would mess up any FASA launch towers.

I like to start my first stage engines first, spool them up to nominal thrust and then release the launch clamps.

I don't actually do that, but can definitely see the appeal. I'm not sure there's any rhyme or reason to how the launch clamps appear in the staging order right now, though, and putting them in the first stage sounds like a useful default.

It would be acceptable to give the warning if the clamps are either in a stage after the first engines or in the same stage as the first engines. You just don't want the clamps to unlock when there is no thrust.

I really like this idea, and I think it should also warn if the launch clamps detach after engine burn.

Depends on the rocket, but they are actually spooling/heating up because they don't provide instantaneous thrust like KSP.

Edited by Alshain

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.