Dual Screen Support

I would love to see a day when i could have my orbital map view on my 2nd screen while flying my ship on my 1st screen.

We already have lots of hardware support, like 3d mice. i think this could be the next one

(i apologize if this is already possible, please feel free to correct me)

yeah I'd like this too. 2nd screen for map mode and UI clutter (mod/resource overlays etc). Although I'd like the 2nd screen to have another function other than map mode, I really like ascending to orbit without looking at map mode, so it would be cool to have the second screen as an IVA mode or just a set of larger instruments.

alternately you could have one screen for the game and one for mod UI elements, Kerbal Engineer is busy taking up too much of my screen right now... Maps is a great a idea as well.

- Sam

Edit - Slightly Ninja'd

Edited by sam.johnson841
Ninja'd

There was a mod that added map mode on a second screen, but I'm not sure it's supported anymore. It used some trickery of running a second instance of KSP to get the second display working, IIRC, though this also meant a second PC could be used to drive the second monitor.

That said, multiple views on multiple monitors would be awesome. Imagine three screens, one with map mode, one with normal view, and one with IVA. :)

I like the idea, but most games are not designed for asymmetrical rendering, and dealing with the possibility of different screen resolutions for each part of that render. The simplest approach I can think of would be...

- run KSP in a freely resizeable window (this should be easy)

- allow KSP to open new windows and render to them, e.g. putting map view into one

Whether the player has both on one screen, stretches the vessel view over three, or puts the map on one side and moves the vessel to the other, is then entirely their decision.

I guess the question is whether Unity can render to multiple windows simultaneously... which may well be a big no, since most engines assume a single rendering canvas of WxH pixels.

Oh, this is a totally cool idea. It might be hard to make the main game render an extended display, but surely it would be possible to run an additional process that opens its own screen, and runs a map view, picking the necessary data from the main KSP process? (This almost sounds like MOD territory.)

Even better if I could get a few of my MechJeb windows to show up over there.

And, just to overcomplicate things, there could be room to add a wireframe rotating display of your rocket which visually shows fuel-levels of the active stage, overheating parts, overstressed parts, etc. ..and a bobble-head Jebediah souvenir that reacts to current gravitational and physics forces. :) (Yeah, I've gone too far. I know.) :D

I like the idea, but most games are not designed for asymmetrical rendering, and dealing with the possibility of different screen resolutions for each part of that render. The simplest approach I can think of would be...

- run KSP in a freely resizeable window (this should be easy)

That's not what's intended with dual monitor support. You will have the same situation as before (= need to switch between display modes), but the screen will be extended to an ultra wide-screen version across all monitors. With 2 monitors, the "logical" middle is right at the monitor frames. Then you have a huge blank space in the center of your setup. This gets enjoyable with 3 monitors, but then again this needs further optimization than "rendering the game in (3*1920)*1200", because the HUD should stay in the center screen. The constant headshaking caused by having the staging on the left, the navball in the middle and the ressources on the right screen may cause others to think you might not like this game. ;)

- allow KSP to open new windows and render to them, e.g. putting map view into one

Whether the player has both on one screen, stretches the vessel view over three, or puts the map on one side and moves the vessel to the other, is then entirely their decision.

I guess the question is whether Unity can render to multiple windows simultaneously... which may well be a big no, since most engines assume a single rendering canvas of WxH pixels.

Thats the "more correct" solution. 2 logical seperated spaces/windows with differerent sets of information on 2 different screens. Yeah, many games don't really support that, which is a shame for RTS, RPGs (map view) or simulations (information display).

Dual monitor support for KSP is very good idea.

• 11 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.