How to take care of betta fish?

bandit4910

Is it true that betta fish eat other betta fish?

Males are very territorial, and will try kill another male if it is in it\'s territory. In the wild, the other fish is normally able to swim away. In a fish tank, not so much. Females are also very territorial and need a large sized tank if you want to keep them together. You also need more than 4 if you want to balance the aggression out, setting up a female 'sorority' as it\'s called, is very challenging and takes lots of research. Like I said, the forum link I posted is very knowledgeable, so anyone interested should ask questions and research there.

Bettas are normally fine with other tropical fish though, but always check for compatibility before you add a new fish. ALWAYS do your research and good luck! :)

Betas are actually very easy to take care of. Just change the water once a week, depending on the size of the 'bowl' he\'s kept in (bigger bowls or aquariums, you have to change the water less often). As someone mentioned, make certain you do NOT change his food ... they\'re finicky and can take ill quite quickly with a change of diet. They definitely are susceptible of various types of Fungi infections, so keep on the lookout for any sorts of odd-looking spots on his sides. Local pet stores sell 'drops' you can put in the water if you see him developing such things, to take care of it fairly quickly (usually less than a week).

I had a beta live about 7-8 years back in my teens ... even after it ate all the other fish in the aquarium. I didn\'t have the heart to flush him, but couldn\'t get rid of the monster. He was tenacious to say the least. Since he was green, I called him Godzilla :D

If i ever have the money i could put two beta fish in a bowl and watch them fight to the death.

The fish we got was on sale at Pet Smart. I did see little spots on him when we got him, that\'s why we are using the drops. The fungi went away after like a week or so... He also has a hard time figuring out if somethings food or not, when ever we feed him his normal fish food it takes him like an hour to figure out it\'s food...

Other than that he\'s fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.