kraken is back

and its the 2,5m service bay

after undocking fuel tanker from my duna/ike mission ship the 2nd of the 2 service bays just decided to brake no explosions just started shaking and decoupled it self from the ship from both ends.

sadly I quicksaved just as I undocked before realising what happened to the ship but I can salvage this cause the command pod was intended to use rcs for final landing back on kerbal and the fueltanks for the ship have docking ports on both ends.

p.s. in case you are wondering I decoupled the nose cones from the tanks to save mass as the tanks wont be landing on duna.

screenshot353_zpscjyvqlvc.png

Yeah, this is unfortunately a side effect of the new drag-box code that comes with the service bays. If anything is clipping into the bay (or even attached radially with bits of mesh sticking through and into it), it will detect a part as being both inside and outside the bay, and then shake your ship to pieces.

Yes, there is a problem with service bays. I cannot see it in screenshot, but was there any part that had intersection with service bay model (some sort of clipping). You should build your rockets carefully to prevent any collider intersections (with the bay) and not try to fit too large parts, so this problem will not happen.. in most cases.

The only part that is both inside and outside is the large landing legs and its clipping in to the top bay as well but I have no way to avoid this and the rcs tanks are maybe slightly touching the floor on the decoupled one.

The one that is attached to the capsule is my standard science bay with added atmosphere scaner thingy's

I had the materials bay attached, don't know is it attached to the ceiling or the flor kinda hard to tell and 4 small rcs tanks and batteries attached to the mat bay

*edit

just checked it was attached to the ceiling

Yeah, this is unfortunately a side effect of the new drag-box code that comes with the service bays. If anything is clipping into the bay (or even attached radially with bits of mesh sticking through and into it), it will detect a part as being both inside and outside the bay, and then shake your ship to pieces.

i can see a new type of kraken drive with this behavior

I'd say that was probably the cause of your problem. For future crafts I would just build up from the floor of the service bays and not stick anything on the ceilings. Sometimes its a little harder to build inside the service bay that way, but if you build outside and then stick it to the floor it works pretty well.

I've had this problem too. Took a while to diagnose as it was contained inside a fairing so I couldn't see the shaking and Kraken-ness. It's funny the first time when your station core snaps off the launch vehicle (still inside the fairing!) halfway off the launchpad. Not funny when it keeps happening no matter how many struts you put on.

While I initially was loving service bays while using them on a stock career game mostly for rockets.... Well, since I've started Sandboxing out planes again I've decided against using them for the very same reason others have stated. While most parts handle clipping fine, service bays do NOT. The tiniest little amount of part clipping and your boned. As soon as you open the bay, the shakes stop. When you closed the bay, they start again.

Not a huge problem except for the lack of a service compartment for Mk1 size planes. I have nowhere 'good' to stick TAC-LS, batteries, etc. So I've been reduced to Mk2 + planes only for now.

Does anyone have the problem with the 1x6 and 2x3 solar panels not giving you the option to retract them???? most of the time happens on the spot when i extend them or leave them open go to the space center and come back to the ship

Does anyone have the problem with the 1x6 and 2x3 solar panels not giving you the option to retract them???? most of the time happens on the spot when i extend them or leave them open go to the space center and come back to the ship

That's by design, you have to use the shielded versions of them if you want the option to retract them now.

As Red Iron Crown said. They wanted to make the two types of deployable panels different - so the lightweight ones can not only not survive re-entry, but can't be undeployed either.

I learned this the hard way when using the small inline service bays to deploy from - "undeploy" basically means closing and opening the bays until the panels break off.

*Reads thread title*

No, the Kraken is not "back." That implies the Kraken ever left in the first place. The Kraken never leaves. It is always watching, waiting, in the dark, ready to strike when you least expect it. This is the way it has always been and always will be.

On a more specifically relevant note, if you have issues like this, try restarting KSP or at least exiting to the Space Center and seeing if it fixes itself. Some Klaw bugs I've encountered were pretty annoying but could be fixed with a restart.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.