Can't get PartTools to work (KSP 1.0.2)

I know I'm doing something wrong, and I haven't figured out what. I've used Unity to tweak IVAs in the past, and I decided to fire things up and take a look at doing some more ... and I can't get anything to show up in the PartTools window.

I went so far as to uninstall Unity, nuke the project directory entirely, download Unity 4.2.2 (since I was on an older version), download PartTools 23 from Sarbian's link, and to reinstall everything. I've got a new project directory, and I put the PartTools .zip's contents in KSP_IVA/Assets (so there's KSP_IVA/Assets/PartTools - there's nothing else in the Assets directory). I started Unity, pointed Part Tools at my installed KSP/GameData directory, and there's nothing in the window. Did I miss a step setting things up, or is PartTools choking on the DDS files, or ...?

I know I'm doing something wrong, and I haven't figured out what. I've used Unity to tweak IVAs in the past, and I decided to fire things up and take a look at doing some more ... and I can't get anything to show up in the PartTools window.

I went so far as to uninstall Unity, nuke the project directory entirely, download Unity 4.2.2 (since I was on an older version), download PartTools 23 from Sarbian's link, and to reinstall everything. I've got a new project directory, and I put the PartTools .zip's contents in KSP_IVA/Assets (so there's KSP_IVA/Assets/PartTools - there's nothing else in the Assets directory). I started Unity, pointed Part Tools at my installed KSP/GameData directory, and there's nothing in the window. Did I miss a step setting things up, or is PartTools choking on the DDS files, or ...?

I hope you get a reply to this I cannot help you much. I set my target GameData directory as as a file on my desktop. Im not even sure if that is a smart thing to do, but it avoids the problem of having files misdirected, and I move them were I want them to be. I also had to uninstall and reinstall unity. I install part tools 2.0 into Unity's Standard Package directory, and then pull the 2.0 files from the project\assets\parttools directory and replace them with part tools 2.3 (3 files). It works.

I don't know why people are doing this, its a bit of voodoo that goes unexplained, but thats the song and dance (IOW i hope someone comes in and explains why 2.0 needs to be in Unities Standard package directory but then pulled and replaced).

My understanding of how Unity works is pretty limited, but I think that GameData folder setting only tells your Part Tools enabled object where to write itself. It won't pull in any projects for you, you have to do that yourself by dropping them in the assets folder.

I was also under the impression that Unity can't read Mu files, assuming IVA models use them.

I hope you get a reply to this I cannot help you much. I set my target GameData directory as as a file on my desktop. Im not even sure if that is a smart thing to do, but it avoids the problem of having files misdirected, and I move them were I want them to be. I also had to uninstall and reinstall unity. I install part tools 2.0 into Unity's Standard Package directory, and then pull the 2.0 files from the project\assets\parttools directory and replace them with part tools 2.3 (3 files). It works.

I don't know why people are doing this, its a bit of voodoo that goes unexplained, but thats the song and dance (IOW i hope someone comes in and explains why 2.0 needs to be in Unities Standard package directory but then pulled and replaced).

I point GameData at the KSP installation so that I can open IVA models and props that are part of the game. Looks like I will need to do some more blind guesses, although I'll see if I still have PartTools 2.0 and try the trick you mention here, and maybe dust of the KSP 0.90 install and see if it behaves better.

EDIT: Pointing it at the 0.90 installation works. I guess I'll see if I can back-port some of the new stuff into the old installation and work with it there.

Edited by MOARdV

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.