The Emergency Alert System

michaelsteele3

Jeez, I hate the EAS too... It always takes me almost five seconds of terrified staring before I realize that it's likely a test. It sounds so horrifying, and I guess that's the point, but still.

And you know what DIDN'T help in the slightest? Listening to that one Vsauce video that he used the EAS pre-recording for a FRIGGIN' NUCLEAR ATTACK. I was expecting that one because he was showing it, but sheesh that's scary.

Jeez, I hate the EAS too... It always takes me almost five seconds of terrified staring before I realize that it's likely a test. It sounds so horrifying, and I guess that's the point, but still.

And you know what DIDN'T help in the slightest? Listening to that one Vsauce video that he used the EAS pre-recording for a FRIGGIN' NUCLEAR ATTACK. I was expecting that one because he was showing it, but sheesh that's scary.

Just saying, but if VSauce were a TV program the FCC would bring the hammer down on that episode. From the EAS Wikipedia article:

Tones from the EAS were used in the trailer for the 2013 film Olympus Has Fallen;[47] cable providers were fined $1.9 million by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on March 3, 2014 for misuse of EAS tones.[48] An event similar to this previously occurred in November 2013 when TBS was fined $25,000 for simulating tones from the EAS in a Conan advertisement.[49]

There is a Canadian one. I tried to find it on youtube but found some weird US one that had Canadian names in it. (It even talked about the president of Canada!)

The Canadian one starts with a long "attention tone." Going by memory it is a very long tone that lasts for, hmm, I am going to say 30 seconds but it seems to last a minute and ha half. After that I have only every heard the standard message: This is a test, this is only a test, if this was a real emergency... you would get the heck out of here.

Oh, and then there's this creepypasta on the EAS:

When I was about 12, I had an odd fear of Emergency Broadcast Systems. I never really understood why, but one night at age 14, things got really bad. Around 1 A.M, I saw an alert for a storm coming at around 2. I was home alone, nobody else was around, and all the lights were out except for the light of the TV. I felt very uncomfortable. I heard the announcer's voice say, "If you are outside, get to a shelter fast." After that, the silent alert just stayed on the TV for an awkward 30 seconds, but then it started glitching up. The screen started showing pixels scramble all over the television, I don't know what was disturbing about the pixels, but I was too shaken up to even lay down. I guess I was just a big ...... The alert had interrupted a show that had just started, so I assumed it was just the signals mixing.

Then out of nowhere, I heard a bunch of scattered beeps, static, rings, all sorts of broadcast test sounds mixed together. I saw black and white pixels making all sorts of commotion on the screen, and for a few seconds it looked like it was making faces, and not like a two-dot curve face, they looked like real faces. As real as you can get for solid black and white, anyway. I could swear there was faint moaning drowned out by static coming from the TV, it sounded like a woman or maybe a younger kid. Suddenly, I heard noise that sounded like a computer would make if it was glitching up. It was soft at first, but then I could hear a bunch of loud, scrambled white noise. The lights in my house were flickering on and off, and the room was getting really hot. I even recall one of the lights blowing a fuse, while the wind outside was crazy. The whistle it made was curiously loud. I almost wondered if it was a tornado.

All that was in my head at that moment was nothing more than "What the (censored due to forums rules :P)?" Then the screen went black and restarted the warning, but nothing wrong happened this time. It ended normally with 2 long beeps and 3 short beeps. Twenty minutes later, it issued another warning, but at the end it said something out of the blue. "If you are outside, get to a shelter fast, and get down to the lowest part of the building, but it's no use-" Then shortly after 3 beeps, the power went out. I sat there, numb with goosebumps. My mind jumped to all sorts of conclusions. I got up off of the couch, grabbed a flashlight and I ran to the basement. As I crossed the hallway, a whisper caught my ear. and I felt a small breeze blowing.

When I got to the stairs, I saw two gleaming eyes at the bottom glaring at me, almost like a cats eyes. My flashlight immediately dimmed down. I tried turning it back on but to no avail. I just sat there, shaking like a leaf. It seemed like there was no light left in the entire world at that moment, and I froze in fear as I felt something cold touch my shoulder.

Edited by michaelsteele3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.