Anyone else have problems with brakes not braking?

So, I built this guy totally stock...

8ErHEPD.png

...and the brakes won't brake. I did mess with brake torque, but set it to max when the brakes weren't working. I made sure the brakes were in the proper action group. I did a clean install of KSP with no mods. Still no good. The brakes will occasionally lock when at a complete stop, but not always. Have I gone mad?

Kerbal X link

I bet it's something crazy simple that I'm overlooking.

edit: Grammar is hard.

Edited by klgraham1013

I'm having this issue too with the smaller wheels. I landed a rover to aid recovery of an... Aggressive landing where the Karbala survived but still has a mission to do.

My rover, while sitting with the brakes on, went full throttle passed the recovery lander. It missed, but I just had to check and it was definitely not braking and to be honest I felt like its motors were running by themselves without my input.

I'm having this issue too with the smaller wheels. I landed a rover to aid recovery of an... Aggressive landing where the Karbala survived but still has a mission to do.

My rover, while sitting with the brakes on, went full throttle passed the recovery lander. It missed, but I just had to check and it was definitely not braking and to be honest I felt like its motors were running by themselves without my input.

Well, if this were real life I would say you probably had your foot on the wrong pedal. I guess that doesn't apply here.

Well, if this were real life I would say you probably had your foot on the wrong pedal. I guess that doesn't apply here.

He has his foot on the breaks, instead of the brakes.

So when he depresses the pedal, it breaks. Just like it's supposed to.

Let's not make the discussion about spelling. If you don't have anything constructive to offer someone having an issue then please refrain from posting.

klgraham1013, do they work with the default "B" action group? I've had issues with airbrakes not working in regular action groups but working fine in the default braking group.

Edit: Heh, guess you meant the brakes group by "the proper action group". Maybe reading *is* fundamental...

Edited by Red Iron Crown

Have you tried the brakes? I find most breakable things in KSP break for me without issue. :sticktongue:

Maybe you accidentally cleared the actions out of the brake action group?

I made sure the breaks were in the proper action group.

Reading. It's fundamental! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

He has his foot on the breaks, instead of the brakes.

So when he depresses the pedal, it breaks. Just like it's supposed to.

Darn it. Fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

klgraham1013, do they work with the default "B" action group? I've had issues with airbrakes not working in regular action groups but working fine in the default braking group.

Edit: Heh, guess you meant the brakes group by "the proper action group". Maybe reading *is* fundamental...

Yeah. I meant the default brakes action group.

I've noticed this as well on the only gear/wheel I have unlocked, the new basic aero landing wheels. The breaks will stop it eventually on flat ground, but on any rolling terrain they are darn near useless, sometimes even allowing the craft to accelerate.

Squad we need an option to do the Fred Flintstone foot drag! :)

Maybe it's a conspiracy against Iowans??

It seems to be a problem going around. I've had this issue as well. I'm not sure whether this is due to the torque or possibly the grip of the wheels. A few things to try: try reversing instead of braking or both at the same time, brake torque of course (which you've already tried), check your electric charge - it's possible that you start to brake, but then run out of charge. I personally had some issues with these wheels on a rover and I had to add drogue chutes to an airplane to stop it (really stopping from 50m/s probably shouldn't take miles).

Chiming in here, the first rover I made and tested on Kerbin in1.02 has braking problems. Plenty of electricity, action groups fine, and yet with brakes locked on, no noticeable effect. Haven't gotten past the first rover wheels yet to see if the rugged version works better or not.

It seems to be a problem going around. I've had this issue as well. I'm not sure whether this is due to the torque or possibly the grip of the wheels. A few things to try: try reversing instead of braking or both at the same time, brake torque of course (which you've already tried), check your electric charge - it's possible that you start to brake, but then run out of charge. I personally had some issues with these wheels on a rover and I had to add drogue chutes to an airplane to stop it (really stopping from 50m/s probably shouldn't take miles).

Going in reverse certainly slows the rover, but that's just a workaround to a problem that still needs fixing.

Had a problem with aircraft wheel brakes.

Braking on uneven terrain and the aircraft hopped off the ground. When it came back down the brakes caused the plane to accelerate wildly.

The wheel physics seem to go unstable if you try to accelerate them with changing loads. It's like the physics integration of the wheel's rotational velocity oscillates to infinity and wraps the variable around to crazy numbers.

It's a bug with rover wheels and how tweakables are implemented. The only way to prevent it is to never right click on the wheel. If you aren't opposed to add-ons, I've built a fix for it here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97285-0-25-Stock-Bug-Fix-Modules

The file you are looking for is called ModuleWheelFix.

Cheers,

-Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.