Lack of heating and glowing parts

I tried a search and couldn't find anything helpful.

before 1.0 the mainsail engine would over heat and glow if it was at 100% power fairly quickly. I have tested on the pad with 100% thrust and ran two orange tanks through it. It barely got above 360 on the temp. no glow affects.

Everything is stock. I have also re-installed with no mods.

through testing one thing I tried is increasing "generation factor" in the Debug tool from 0.030 (which i have been told is stock) and bumped it up. Sure enough I get affects and over heating but I am not sure the "correct" setting would be.

test results with stock 0.030

start temp = 287.6

end temp 100% trust no limiter = 367

any ideas?

also I have no trouble heating up (and blowing up) during re-entry to atmosphere

Edited by majortimekiller

Are you trying to get it as close as possible to pre-1.0.x behavior or going for a realistic engine temperature? Either way, I don't think the best way to go about it is to change the overall generation factor, but to mess with the conductivity in the part config. Lowering the specific heat of the mainsail would probably accomplish about the same thing also.

img015.jpeg

If my memory doesen't fail me not even the ^^mighty F1 rocket engine^^ started glowing because it was cooled sufficiently.

They injected the relatively cold exhaust gases from the gas turbine driving the turbopumps into the nozzle so that it would "wrap around" the exhaust and prevent the super hot H2+O2 flame from actually touching the nozzle. Also the cryogenic fuels were run from the tanks along the outside of the engine, not only to preheat the fuels and thereby increase internal pressure but also because blasting thousands of litres of liquid hydrogen (~ -250°C or about 20 Kelvin) through the pipes around the nozzle has a massive cooling effect.

What I am trying to do is operate KSP as everyone else seems to be. from a normal install I get no heat affects from engines, little temp change and no heat glow. I know the mailsail and the nuclear heated up fairly fast and got pretty got. I get no over heat what so ever.

Well with the way the heat works now I only get heat glow on my NERVAs, and that's after running them 3-4 minutes. I haven't had a mainsail get heat effects yet, the majority of the heat they produce either goes into the atmosphere or into the thousands of liters of fuel in an orange tank. I'm not sure what temperature exactly the heat bars show up, but its a percentage of the max heat of a part, so with engines thats 600-800 degrees.

They heated up fast in 0.90. 1.0 has changed a lotof this as heating of engines is actually a real mechanic. What I was trying to say was that the mainsail shouldn't start glowing. Sorry if I sounded like a smartS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.