SAS Wobble Just Recently

Ok so first let me say that i am NOT FLAMING THE GAME...i am fully aware that the game is patching frequently and that this may be temporary and may just also be me. So please don't spaz on me and tell me i don't know how to fly etc. I have been having a lot of wobble lately on 1.0 build rockets(Previously Stable) as well as ones i have just built during 1.02. It is not just an atmosphere issue either it happens in space as well. They are all aerodynamically sound, symmetrical, i have interchanged parts for others stock and mod parts. Even if i don't do a gravity turn i will start to get wobble at about 150m/s in a small circle at first then it gets worse. Doesn't matter if i add fins or not either, i have tried everything i can think of to correct it. However if i use hold retrograde or prograde i have no such instability It honestly seems like a bug or instability. Has anyone else ran into this sort of behavior recently.

Edited by djphllps

Can you please post a screenshot of your rocket ?

Xkay7 is right, there are some serious clipping issues with service bays which can cause wobbling of the ship (or sudden disintegration if you're lucky).

However, SAS has never been perfect, and tends to go crazy in some situations; here are a few common issues:

- If the wobbling occurs when burning, reduce the gimbal of your engine(s) to 10-25% according to the "strength" of the wobbling.

- If _____________________ you are using SAS on anything else than stability assist, go back to stability assist and move your ship around by yourself; other holds are less stable than stability assist for some obscure reason and are more likely to cause wobbling.

- If _________________ even on stability assist, you probably have too much SAS devices on, thus creating a positive feedback (similar to the Larsen effect); I suggest deactivating a few SAS devices (reaction wheels or command pod torque).

It may also be because of too much SAS torque too far from the CoM, then either deactivate some SAS devices or redesign your rocket.

Hope this helps :wink:

hmm i can try to kill the gimbal a little but what really throws me here is that if i use hold prograde its solid as a rock atmosphere or space same behavior...21E15D8347712DA124292EB8CA2132908CAF27E8

- - - Updated - - -

tried disabling the pods torque completely that didn't work either...same behavior prograde hold is solid steady and standard hold wobbles....it makes no sense

- - - Updated - - -

also this is one of many rockets with this same behavior

Edited by djphllps

The responsiveness of Stability Assist is significantly less than the other SAS Modes. For most vehicles, the complaint is that hold prograde etc. are too jittery, but in your case it seems the over responsiveness works better (probably because oscillations caused by Stability response happen to be close to a frequency your rocket wants to wobbles at).

The easiest "fix" would be to stiffen your rocket up (ie. add lots of struts). If you can stop it wobbling, SAS will do its job.

EUREKA!!!!!...so the more i started looking at it the more i realized i wasn't crazy something had to be wrong and it turned out to be the stock bug fix mod that i had... i completely re-installed the entire game and finally narrowed down mod by mod what it was.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for your help and i love the pwings mod

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.