Ship shaking itself to pieces

I've got a mining craft landed on Minmus that wants to shake itself to pieces anytime I try to liftoff into orbit. :(

Here's the best pics I could get, can't get up to turn it around without explosions...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This is in the middle of the second mining trip it's made, full ore tanks both times. No shaking at all happened the first time, I was able to land, mine, takeoff, and transfer the ore my orbital refinery. This time however I cannot seem to do anything to get it into orbit alive. I've tried taking off with everything deployed, nothing deployed, only some things deployed, and nothing has been able to stop the inevitable explosion. The only difference is it has slightly less fuel this time than the first, because then I finished up my transfer stages fuel while landing. I know a few of the parts are clipped together, but it's nothing the VAB wouldn't allow, and no more than some of my other ships.

Edited by adinfinitum

For me, lightweight + clipping + struts = shaking boom of death. One thing I have noticed is that SAS makes it worse. Have you tried taking off without that and with all gimballing on engines turned off?

This happened to me once. It was a small lander just like yours and i have used it many times. But one day it just decided to cut itself in half so i just tought it wasn't really a problem and rare kraken attack. Then i just quickloaded and tried again and same thing happens... Hmmm... At this point i tried 5 times and the lander always seems to cut itself in half.. Then i tried something new. I just moved the craft a bit then landed again somewhere else. After that i switched to another craft and returned to my wonky lander. This time it took off fine for some reason... Well just another day in ksp folks. Atleast these kraken attacks are more rare then before so im not complaining :)

I've tried without SAS, but I'll give it a try with turning the gimbals off. I'm just glad the 1.0.2 load time is so quick, I'm playing without quicksaves or reverts so the only way to bring the craft back to life is ending the game with task manager and restarting.

Edit: I'll try moving it too if I can maybe I can roll it somewhere since I'm on Minmus

Edited by adinfinitum

I know some people are trying to play without quicksaves but this is ksp and we all know that a bug will hit you eventually. So i just find it fraustrating to play like that. You can always set your own limits. So what if you saved and your lander crashed you don't have to return to that save. But when a bug happens atleast you don't have to restart the game instead you can experiment on whats causing the bug and possibly solve it easier.

Changing to a satellite and switching back seems to have fixed the problem, of course it was also night this time and it is KSP after all, so that coulda fixed it too, who knows.

This is the first game affecting bug I've had so far in 1.0.2, but there's just something about how the game feels with no reverts and quicksaves that's really made it a dozens times more compelling for me. I feel like it adds to the whole space program feel, I can be as careful as I can designing a rocket, but if I got too confident and it flips on takeoff with no escape, 4 kerbals are gone, its a tragedy in funds and life, but like the first Apollo mission, bad stuff happens sometimes.

It may be worth noting that quicksaving still works even when quickloading is disabled in the difficulty options.

So it is possible to play with no quickloads/reverts and still keep quicksaves for insurance against Kraken attacks and other bugs. You can restore to a quicksave by renaming the file to persistent.sfs and starting the game normally.

It may be worth noting that quicksaving still works even when quickloading is disabled in the difficulty options.

So it is possible to play with no quickloads/reverts and still keep quicksaves for insurance against Kraken attacks and other bugs. You can restore to a quicksave by renaming the file to persistent.sfs and starting the game normally.

Huh, that's an interesting quirk, glad I know that now

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.