[1.1.2] Science Transmission Tweaks 0.4 - Increases, Decreases, and Consistency.

etmoonshade

Science Transmission Tweaks - Increase some transmit values, decrease others, make stuff consistent.

Current Version: 0.4 (Appears to work fine on 1.1.2. Gotta love ModuleManager's consistency.)

Edit for 2020 - not tested for 1.10 yet. Not that anyone's looking at this, but I'm spinning up my mods to play 1.10 - I'll update with a post once I've done so, and it'll probably work fine because again - ModuleManager patches.

Download at bottom of OP.

I was looking at how my science program was running, and noticed that there were some... inconsistencies. I could get full science from one type of data, but only 50% from transmitting another (far simpler) type of data. Similarly, certain types of science that don't seem like it'd be practical to automatically analyze were returning entirely too much with transmission, and others seemed like they could be transmitting more useful data based on their descriptions.

Based on all this, I decided to hack together some ModuleManager configs to bring some common sense consistency to transmitting science... at least as far as I'm concerned. I debated whether to even post this - we'll see how many people find it useful.

Note that this decreases the return on all of the "full transmit" science parts along with increasing the return on some of the others. My goal with this set of tweaks is to bring consistency, not necessarily "balance" of any sort.

Required Mods:

Module Manager - if you have mods, you probably already have this. Fortunately, new versions typically disable old versions - it seldom hurts to grab the most recent one.

Supported Mods:

Needless to say, MM patches don't do a whole lot if you don't have the base mod it patches. I've included links to the supported mods in the list below. Click 'em and see if you want them. :D

Squad/Stock
L-Tech (0.90, but still works fine)
N3h3mia's Science Mods (Unofficial 1.0.4 Release) Note that only the KEES module appears to be tweakable - YMMV on the other stuff. I'll post in the thread to find out.

Got a favorite science mod that you want to MM up based on the below guidelines? Send the patch in and I'll add it to the list! Note that I reserve the right to edit any submitted configs, but you get credit for doing the initial grunt work. If you submit, please follow the existing format in the given files.

Contributors:

(none so far)

There are five main classes of transmittable data:

95% return:

The stuff where the science value is entirely in the data. The missing 5% represents anything that a clever scientist might be able to pick out from examining the instrument itself - something like stress cracks from heating/cooling cycles. Essentially, the same sort of extra science you'd get from returning the craft itself. It usually isn't much.

Examples:
Thermometer, barometer, gravity detector.

75% return:

Experiments where all the value is in the data, but something extra might be gleaned from being able to examine the environment the collector has been exposed to - stuff that might take a sample and do a solid automatic analysis, but may have some sample leftover in the analysis tray that could be scraped out.

Examples:
Atmospheric Sensor, most ground-based science (since they're likely to pick up interesting stuff from the environment.)

45% return:

Experiments where the value is split between observation and being able to experiment on the returned science. Really, this is a middle-ground if you can't justify a full return, but also can't justify full transmission. This also applies to something that would do an intermediate automated analysis.

Examples:
Mystery Goo, DMagic Anomaly Scanner.

15% return:

Experiments where almost all the value is in being able to return the sample, and only cursory automated analysis is possible/practical.

Examples:
Materials Bay/SC-9001 Science Lab, DMagic ExoKerbol Core Drill, pretty much any "sample collection" science.

0% return:

Experiments where all the value is in returning the sample, and no automated analysis is possible or practical.

Examples:
Surface sample returns from EVA are a stock example, as well as the KEES experiments from N3h3mia's Science Pack.

License: CC BY-SA 4.0. Additionally, if I space out for a few months on updating and people want to, someone can take it over. I'm hardly in this for fame - just follow Wheaton's Law and you'll be fine.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0w49ondc4no3pk9/Eppy_ScienceTransmit_0.4.zip?dl=0

If you're looking for something that does something similar but is a bit more balance-y in nature, it looks like [(Re^4)visited!] Science Revisited might fit the bill. If these tweaks don't appeal to you, check that one out. Options!

Edited by etmoonshade
Changed to Dropbox's new link format. Changed other link.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The link still points to version 0.1! However, the file is there, because if I change it, it does download fine :)

Working link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22571912/Eppy_ScienceTransmit_0.4.zip

Fixed. Thanks! The forum does screwy stuff with links. :(

Edit: And smilies. >_<

Edit again: Okay, I KNOW I fixed it once already. Just fixed it again.

Edited by etmoonshade

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.