Space elevator

GFBones

This could be some kind of achievement.

A new set of buildings attached to the KSP, or maybe built at the old Island Airport.

Many stages like unfolding the cable from space. Puting an asteroid as a counterweight. Placing multiple "hubs" along the cable with different destinations depending on the eighth you start from.

280px-Space_elevator_structural_diagram--corrected_for_scale%2BCM%2Betc--regenerated_as_SVG.svg.png

Seems like this gets brought up at least once every version of KSP. I can't tell what you are asking for but I will try my best.

If you are asking if it can be built out of parts in-game, the answer is no. There is a range limit for physics. On Kerbin this range is 22.5 Km. Outside of this range nothing is loaded into memory and thus is not simulated. In space the range is still 2.5 Km (I THINK). So same thing applies. This means that the largest thing someone could possibly make would be 2500 meters in size and still be able to fly it in space. Most likely such an object would probably kill most computers due to part count and trying to simulate that many physics interactions.

If you are asking about making a stand alone mod to create a static building similar to the mod Kerbin-side, then I have no idea if it could be done or not. IF it could be made then it would be one heck of an undertaking and I would applaud the mod maker that could do it.

Gameplay-wise, this would just shove you into orbit without using fuel; you can use HyperEdit for that.

The closest thing is an old mass driver made with KerbTown that just shoves you into orbit. You could update it and change the model.

I'm thinking of a standalone mod, a new building for the KSP complex. But to achieve it, multiple tasks would have to be done. One of it would be to bring an asteroid at a precise position, synchronous orbit right above the KSC.

Another task could be gather a certain type of ressource, to build the nanocarbon cable.

I'm sure many people could have many more and better ideas than me on the steps necessary to get to the elevator.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.