Why did I lose Kerbals in a spashdown in this vehicle?

I finally rescued poor Jeb who was lost in a crazy oblong polar orbit (AP: 400,000km, Per:200km) stuck in just a spacesuit for like 20 days. I probably should have just launched with less Kerbals in the pod, but I elected to have a lander can attached. Looked like this for re-entry

screenshot1_zpsculydzzd.png

Directly attached can with parachute on top.

landed in the ocean just fine about 8m/s. I was watching from the can, and saw the water splash against the view port, and everything looked fine. When I changed to external camera, however, Jeb was no longer listed as an occupant of my craft. When I went to the space facility to call for a recovery, it only listed just the pod (1 part). Why did I lose the can part? It didn't break apart on splash down, and I landed ass-first, not on the side. Did it go too 'deep' in the water, and was considered 'lost'?

Edited by SignalCorps

A single Mk16-XL parachute is pretty much only suitable for the 2.5m pod on its own. If you have anything more than the pod to land, you'll need a number of radial parachutes and/or engine braking as well.

In terms of impact, 8m/s is fast. Ideally you should be aiming for 5m/s or less. Visualise a normal modern room, it is probably a little over 2m floor to ceiling. Now think of 4 times that height (8m). Now consider how long a second is. Put all that together, and you can hopefully see that it's a fast and violent impact.

You indeed were going too fast. If you can't visualise how fast 8ms actually is it accounts to 30kmh. And that storage container is a thin and lightweight compartment unlike the command module.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.