The Kerbollo Applications Program

Rhomphaia

Here I shall be documenting the progress of Rhomphaia Heavy Industries' attempts to put Kerbals on the Mun and beyond For GregroxMun's Apollo Aplications Program challenge

Phase 1: Project Kerbollo

Now it is time to take longer strides... Time to commit ourselves to achieving the goal of landing a Kerbal on Mun and returning them safely to Kerbin.

jGuGXBh.png

The Little Billy-Bobfred II, Ninurta IB and Ninurta V rockets used by the Kerbollo Program

Kerbollo 4 + 6

Kerbollo 7

Kerbollo 8

Kerbollo 9

Kerbollo 10

Kerbollo 11

Kerbollo 13

Kerbollo 15

Kerbollo 17

Edited by Rhomphaia

1.1 Unmanned testing

To test and Kerbal rate all critical hardware.

Abort tests: Testing of the Launch Escape System both on the launchpad and in flight

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Kerbollo 4:Full test of Ninurta V rocket including N-IVB re-ignition, test of Service Propulsion System, and test of Command Module re-entry under simulated Munar return conditions.

Kerbollo 5: Full test of Ninurta IB rocket, Test of Munar Escursion module descent and ascent engines including a "Fire in the Hole" Abort test. Final orbit was set to deliberately re-enter the atmosphere ensuring destruction of all hardware.

Shortly after the Abort sequence test it was noted that the MEM was not responding correctly to heading inputs. Attempts to re-initialize the guidance computer resulted in severe rotation. The exact cause of the malfunction was undetermined, however it is believed likely that it was the result of a malfunction in the OKTO2 control unit installed for this mission only and therefor unlikely to impact future missions.

Edited by Rhomphaia

1.2 Kerballed Testing

Kerbollo 7

cSA9kh0.png

Commander: Bill Kerman

Command Module Pilot: Allison Kerman

Munar Module Pilot/Ballast: Admund Kerman

Test flight of the Kerbollo CSM in LKO launched with a Ninurta IB rocket.

Mission Highlights:

On attaining orbit it was noted that the LES had failed to jettison, as this would obstruct the docking port the mission was delayed to allow the spacecraft to orient retrograde before jettisoning the LES, it was hoped that this would ensure that it de-orbited.

During docking practice it was noted that the Fairing between the CSM and (simulated LM) obstructed the view of the docking target. This would be redesigned for later missions.

Shortly after docking it was noted that all the fuel had leaked out of the Service Modules tanks. Ground crew muttered about how no-one read their engineers reports and something about docking ports used as decouplers. They then suggested that the missing fuel would likely be found in the N-IVB stage. It was and had to be siphoned out

At the end of the first day in Orbit, after separation from the N-IVB, the Service Propulsion System was ignited to boost the CSM into a higher orbit.

After the Second day of systems tests, the crew prepared to practice Rendezvous using the N-IVB as a target.

The CSM was then docked to the N-IVB and the SPS was used to push it into a re-entry trajectory to simulate pushing the LM. After separation the CSM returned to stable orbit.

3days 1hour 5minutes and 55seconds into the mission the SPS was fired one last time to de-orbit the CSM. 3 minutes 16 seconds later the Service Module was Jettisoned.

The command module safely splashed down at 0°30'27"W 94°5'29"W

Gallery

Kerbollo 8

f3yB1v2.png

Commander: Ardolin Kerman

Command Module Pilot: Jebedaih Kerman

Munar Module Pilot/Ballast: Samxie Kerman

Excerpt from preflight mission transcript:

Jebediah: Stop the countdown, I think there's something wrong with the Munar Module!

Mission Control: There can't be anything wrong with the Munar Module. You are not carrying a Munar Module.

J:So how am I meant to land? Balancing the Service Module on its engine bell?

MC: You are not supposed to land, this is an orbit only mission.

J: But...

MC: Look we are running out of time. I will make you a deal, do this one right and I'll shuffle the roster around to get you on the earliest possible landing mission.

MC: It won't be the first one, probably not the second either, but you will get to be Commander too.

Gallery:

57i5AiA.png

Kerbollo 9

Commander: Geofdin Kerman

Command Module Pilot: Ronmore Kerman

Munar Module Pilot: Haimie Kerman

First flight of the complete Kerbollo spacecraft and first manned flight of the Munar Module. First EVA in the Kerbollo program

Command module splashed down 0°3'45"N 68°1'3"W at T+1h28m. All other hardware deliberately burned up on re-entry.

Mission Gallery:

Wow, Rhomphaia! This is amazing! I was always very interested in the old space programs, and my favourite was Apollo! This is so exact, it is great! I want to try something like this once I am less of a newbie! Is it all stock, or do you use mods?

Wow, Rhomphaia! This is amazing! I was always very interested in the old space programs, and my favourite was Apollo! This is so exact, it is great! I want to try something like this once I am less of a newbie! Is it all stock, or do you use mods?

It's stock. Have Hyperedit installed but not using it for this, also Kerbal Konstucts so I can launch Soyuz from KSC2 when I eventually get to ASTP.

Would have considered using mods for 5m tanks to make a more realistic Saturn replica, but it is not really neccesary.

b9E9OSt.png

Kerbollo 10

Commander:Lery Kerman

CM pilot: Freddin Kerman

MM pilot: Neie Kerman

The "dress rehearsal" for the Munar landings, the mission contains all elements of the later missions except for the landing itself.

Mission succesfully splashed down 0°44'27"N 72°39'49"W

Mission duration: T+2d1h50m

3Oys5Jd.png

Kerbollo 11

Commander:Hilanda Kerman

CM pilot Wilyin Kerman

MM pilot: Munbles Kerman

The Crew omitted their names from the patch intending it to commemorate all those who had played a part in getting them to Mun

Munar landing occurred at approximately T+1d1h30m Landing site 0°32'55"N 22°44'50"E

After 42 minutes on the surface the MM ascent stage headed back to the CSM, once the crew transfered across, the MM was jettisoned and lated impacted the Munar surface.

A delay in separation of the Service Module led to some worrying moments during re-entry, but the command module safely splashed down 2d5h7m into the mission at 0°5'24"N 12°58'59"E

Mission Gallery:

3SUNBwj.png

Kerbollo 13

Commander:Jebediah Kerman

CM Pilot: Agavy Kerman

MM Pilot: Orrey Kerman

Transcript of pre-launch CM recording:

Jebediah: Finally, we're going to Mun, not just orbiting, this time we will land. Everybody ready?

Agavy: Commander, I have a couple of questions.

J: Fire away.

A: First, why is there a crate of sepratrons in the service bay?

J: Well, the MMUs they gave us are useful and all, but they don't pack much of a kick. I'm going to upgrade mine and really show the folks at home a giant leap.

A: I thought it might be something like that. Second question, why are they wired up to the staging sequence?

J: Well, you might not know this but if you try to take anything that could possibly be staged on a rocket, the construction team will wire it up, there is just no stopping them

Orrey: Isn't that rather dangerous?

J: Don't worry, that's why I put them in the Service Bay rather than in the MM for the launch, the service bays are isolated from the staging sequence, as long is the doors are closed nothing can possibly go wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/Mv1T2zw.png

)

Excerpt from Post-TMI burn Transmission

CAPCOM: Trajectory looks good for the intended landing site. How are thing on your end?

Agavy: Everything checks out fine. The CM is a bit low on snacks though, I could use some more when I am orbiting around on my own.

C: There are more in the service bay, someone will have to EVA out to get them. AG1 to open the doors.

A: Copy that, opening Service Bay doors.

Jebediah:Wait! Action Group One? thats...

v3SwShi.png

Agavy: Ok Kerbin, I think...

Orrey: WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

CAPCOM: this is Kerbin say again please

Jebediah: Kerbin, we've had a problem. Hi gain antenna is off-line, SPS is gone and we are reading zip from the SM fuel cells.

tGtLOfY.png

CAPCOM: We're thinking about the MM Lifeboat.

Orrey: We're thinking about that too, but there isn't room for us all.

Jebediah:You two go. If anyone is going down with this ship, it's me. Before you seal it up pass me all the MMU backpacks. I'll see If I can jury-rig something up.

[imgur]qb9U6">Javascript is disabled. View full album

Agavy:Kerbin, We've had another problem. An anomalous G-Force spike as we crossed the SOI boundary. The commander was thrown from the ladder. We are attempting to manually pilot a rescue. Track our trajectory and advise of any corrections we need once we have him back.

rMQlhmP.png

Kerbollo 15

Commander: Ronmore Kerman

CM Pilot: Leah Kerman

MM Pilot: Erigela Kerman

First flight of the Extended Munar Module, first deployment of the Munar Rover and Munar Subsatellite

Mission highlights:

1 day 1 hour 18 minutes after launch, the MM detaches from the Command module and begins its decent to the surface, touching down 11m20s later at 0°37'57"N 324°32'18"E.

Shortly after landing, the DPS was fired again to allow the MM to perform a "pirouette" maneuver to allow for safe deployment of the Rover (9m50s on the video)

After 2 and a half days on the Munar surface the Ascent stage separated and began its journey back to orbit (12m00s on video) after docking the crew transferred back to the CM and the MM was jettisoned to impact. (13m25s on video)

Shortly before leaving Munar orbit a Subsatellite was released into orbit (Ap 31230m Pe 28768m) (13m35s)

4 days into the mission the SPS was fired one last time to send crew back to Kerbin, Splashdown occurred at 0°3'22"N 22°57°01"W after a total MET of 5 says 3 hours and 55 minutes

Edited by Rhomphaia

• 2 weeks later...

XP241BM.png

Kerbollo 17

Commander: Neie Kerman

CM Pilot: Theoely Kerman

LM Pilot: Bob Kerman

Munar Landing: 8°44'21"N 251°45'41"W

Splashdown: 4°15'11"S 71°26'44"W

Mission duration: 2d4h20m

First Night launch of the Ninurta V. Also the first Kerbollo mission to have a professional scientist aboard. I decided to honor this by flying the Munar Module without SAS (even though scientists can use SAS in Sandbox)

Launch gallery

Landing went rather well.

I ran a couple of test flights of the landing in another save. In both of those I got the lander down intact but not upright. Had that happened here I would have flown Kerbollo 18 as a rescue mission.

Jebediah would have commanded as the pilot with the most disaster experience, Munbles would have flown as MM pilot (Only BadS MM pilot to have made a landing, Ronmore is also BadS but never flew as MM pilot)

Jebediah would have flown one of the stranded crew back to the closest CSM on the prototype Lunar Landing Escape System, Munbles would have flown the other back in Kerbollo 18 ascent stage.

Luckily that was not required here. and Kerbollo 17 was able to make its own ascent

This was not quite so textbook, a brief loss of control shortly after liftoff, and a bit of confusion over the nav-ball mode. But we got to a rendezvous in the end.

Cut from the video is around 5 minutes of playing with maneuver nodes to get there and 25 minutes of failed docking attempts. Eventually the CSM had to help out by pointing at the MM and moving slowly towards it, then all the MM had to do was hold the correct attitude.

So everyone got home OK

Kerbollo 18

Commander: Jebediah Kerman

CM Pilot: Munbles Kerman

MM Pilot: Sanbeth Kerman

SnFGoO9.png

Capcom: Jebediah you and your crew can stand down now, since Kerbollo 17 made it home safely we no longer need a rescue mission.

Jebediah: Not a chance, if this is the last Ninurta V rocket, there is no way I'm letting you dissasemble my only chance at a Mun landing just to make some Kerbin orbital space station.

Capcom: The Kerbollo program is still going ahead, We've ordered new, uprated Ninurtas, there will be other Mun landings

Jebediah: The trust is gone, Ever since you told me I would be in the first crew to go to Mun and I never even got to land.

Capcom:OK, OK, Ive just got word from the mission director, the KORL is suffering some setbacks, He's decided to delay it until the new Ninurta V rockets enter production, and given you the green light for thiGAH...

Capcom: I don't know how you hot-wired the launch sequence, and I don't want to. Thats for the Investigation team to determine. Count yourself lucky I didn't hit the remote Abort. Anyway as I was about to say, since we know you will be doing most of the flying anyway and this is no longer a rescue mission, Sanbeth is being re-assigned as MM pilot. Munbles is almost as crazy as you and we want to split the two of you up. Your mission Parameters are now to land within 1km of a previous landing site and inspect that descent stage for any damage caused by debris kicked up by your landing, we have plotted a free return trajectory that should make any of the earlier landing sited a possibility.

Jebediah: And the LLES I designed?

Capcom: If I tell you no, you'll probably end up crashing deliberately so you need it. So yes you can tesGAH...

y1NDlfc.png

Capcom:WHAT HAPPENED? YOU ARE BURNING TOO EARLY!

Jebediah: Relax, I've got this. You owe me two landings, So I'm taking them. Munbles, Upload the new Mission Insignia

Sm1ajXV.png

The Minmus landing was flown with both ascent and decent being performed by the Descent Propulsion System, after Re-docking the Service module effected a Hohmann transfer from Minus to Mun.

Fuel was transfered from the Ascent stage to the Descent stage to allow for Munar landing, within 1km of Kerbollo 15 landing site.

Once on the suface, the LLES was deployed. Not pictured is the explosion of the LLES landing legs due to a combination of part clipping and being deployed downhill.

While Sanbeth conducted the inspection of Kerbollo 15, Jebediah inspected the LLES and determined that it would be usable, with the reaction wheels providing enough control to orient it for launch.

Upon Rendezvous with the CSM, Jebediah and Sanbeth EVA'd across. Not pictured - As jebediah left his seat he was flung away, and had to use his MMU to return to the CSM. The LLES was flung less violently, but had to perform some small manuevers to stabalize with the CSM, there were no issues when Sanbeth left her seat. the LLES was rated as needing some adjustments befor it could enter full service.

Gallery

Minmus landing: 1°3'19"S 10°18'7"W

Mun Landing: 0°29'11"N 324°25'7"E

Splashdown: 0°50'36N" 163°42'26"E

Mission duration: 20d 2h

yNhTu6N.png

Kerbollo - Lukovitsa test project

Lukovitsa

Commander: Valentina Kerman

Flight Engineer: Eriet Kerman

Kerbollo

Commander: Lery Kerman

CM Pilot: Mary Kerman

DM Pilot: Tanpond Kerman

In the middle of a temporary shortage of launch vehicles, we have arranged a friendly game of tag with our competition.

YWtiz5T.png

They will launch the Lukovitsa spacecraft from the Inland space center. We will launch a Kerbollo CSM from the Kerbal Space Center using a Ninurta IB rocket, rendezvouz with the Lukovitsa and dock using an adapter to ensure compatibility.

C3pwiWv.png

2.5m Docking adapter

GrZufiG.png

0.625m adapter

i01c0Xa.png

Universal Docking Adapter

4FMJXXV.png

Kerbollo CSM creates an artificial eclipse

Full Gallery

Lukovitsa landing: 18°11'35"N 227°23'27"E

Kerbollo splashdown: 0°7'12"N 139°27'8"E

Edited by Rhomphaia

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.