K-11a

Here\'s an aircraft I created this morning loosely based on the F-14 Tomcat.

Unfortunately I couldn\'t get the desired maneuverability without the forward canards

but they are placed in such a position that the aircraft shouldn\'t do back-flips unless you

really pitch hard.

The runway is sticky still, so you\'ll need a lot more power to get off the ground than to land,

but it should pitch up off the runway somewhere around 90m/s but can land probably sub-60,

which can be tricky to manage with the throttle.

There\'s one tiny issue in that if you\'re already in flight with the aircraft, and decide to restart

on the runway, the aircraft may disintegrate. Launching from the hanger fixes this.

Joystick highly recommended. =P

Specs: Rev i.

Stall: -50m/s[clean]

Top Speed: 550+m/s [Mach 1.6]

Ceiling: 13,000m

Range: Currently Untested

Payload: 3000kgs external stores, plus internals

Max G: +/-12

More soon ...

Rev c.

->Rear canards added on the engines. Aircraft is far more stable now but will still pull +/-7 g\'s in a turn or as high as 9 in a loop without losing pitch control.

Rev g.

->Engines reduced to single nacelles and mounted beneath rear wing area

->Tail fins switched to a slanted configuration

->All active flight surfaces doubled

->Four individually releasable bombs added for air to ground harassment of those dirty kerbmunists. 8)

Rev i.

->Refitted for intercontinental flight, fuel payload increased to 3500kg

->Drop tanks now drop in pairs, so you don\'t have to re-trim the aircraft for asymmetry every time you drop one

->Engines can be individually toggled. This didn\'t seem to work without separate fuel feeds. Be ready to trim.

->Can easily make it to KSC2 [1500kg+ fuel remaining], probably better if you don\'t mind going slower.

->Outstanding low level flight once clean [no external stores], can even knife edge pass if you\'re good with the controls.

->Wings reinforced, have pulled 12+ gs without airframe damage

Rev j.

->Heavily reinforced front landing gear, touch and go is now far easier.

This one was ... interesting ... to fly :D

I stink at making aircraft, so some of these designs are helping me to understand the finer points. I do like this one, as well as one other I downloaded tonight (which was REALLY stable and almost got me off-continent).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.