Through the Arch

Well, for those of us here who have found one of the arches on the Mun, (We\'ve got new easter eggs!) I propose a challenge: get into an orbit that will take your spacecraft through the arch. It doesn\'t necessarily have to be stable, but be moving at orbital velocity when you pass through it.

Easy? NO! I have serious doubts that anyone is going to do this, but whoever does deserves a shiny medal.

Screenshots are required; preferably multiple of the event. Make sure you\'ve got your speed indicator in view. Videos would be even better.

So now that I have you all thinking I\'m crazy, please go prove me wrong. Have fun! ;)

I tried this. It\'s nigh impossible to get an orbit that passes through it that doesn\'t hit something on the way out.

Since the ground quickly rises by almost 1000 meters after the arch, your orbit has to be reasonably eliptical to pull this off. I tried this, got into an orbit close to the arch, and then gave up and landed. Then my landing legs sank into the sand and exploded.

Pics?

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=12368.0\'

This is one of the 3 or 4 threads that popped about it yesterday ( I also happened to discover one before seeing it posted ). So far there were two discovered, both:

Both are in the Mun side that faces Kerbin between the equator and 15ºN and both are in the ridges of craters. Also both are oriented W-E ( meaning that any orbit will have to come from north or south to pass through them ) and both are pretty visible from orbits up to 100 km if you are really looking ;)

Anyway, I\'ve tried and it ended in tears :( The only good thing is that their basis is pretty high terrain so in theory it should be possible for someone with a steadier hand than mine ( or a joystick ;) )

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.