'In Character Discussion'

RedDwarfIV

Earlier today I sent a message to Ascensiam asking if something I call \'In Character Discussion\' was still allowed. I recieved no reply, but I take the following sentance to mean that he followed my advice to amend what the rule banning RP outside the closed RP forum meant [iE, forms of RPing that do not include wars and politics stay banned, but projects involving nations and corps may continue]:

For those of you wishing to run projects and the like, the Spacecraft Exchange is excellent for that, there\'s plenty of alternatives because KSP has such broad use, as for those that still wish to wage war and be independent after it killed off this forum; There are fan-owned sites now for this, be wary of their much greater lack of rules, though.

The quote recommends the Spacecraft Exchange. However, for some topics this may not be the best forum. For instance, my Ibis X2 disaster thread was posted in General Discussion, as the topic was a disaster involving a spaceplane, not the spaceplane itself.

The definition of In Character Discussion is this:

-A topic is set for the discussion. This may be a disaster, a project, or simply an informative text. Should be something that happened in KSP, or be about something you are doing/going to do in KSP. Should not be war/politics based.

-Users proceed to discuss the topic In Character, hence the name. Characters straight from RP can be used, although the conflicts of RP should not be mentioned. This is to prevent competition between users - this is what I view to be the primary cause of RP\'s problems. That people couldn\'t make the distinction between IC and OOC was the issue, but that would have been much harder to solve. OOC should be kept to explanations about what you have said, or are not saying because, for instance your character doesn\'t know it. Again, should not be war/politics based.

-As Ascensiam\'s post says, 'the failure to unite and agree is the main cause,' so ICDs should be about altruism and working toward the common goal - the Kerbal Space Program.

To be discussed in this thread:

Whether ICD is actually a better alternative to RP as we knew it.

Its potential effectiveness for providing RP that is flaming-free.

Whether my interpretation of the rules is correct or misguided.

Whether, if my interpretation is misguided, ICD should go ahead.

What should not be said/mentioned/reffered to in ICD in order to prevent competition between users.

Whether ICD threads should be tagged with \'[iCD]\' for easier reference, and to make it easier for the mods to locate these threads. RP has had trouble, and simply my saying \'don\'t do it\' here won\'t stop people. Obviously this means ICD threads would be more prone to RP arguments, even if that is not my intention in putting the idea forward, and such arguments would need to be stopped before they develop into flame wars.

The distinction between an argument and a debate.

Whether, if seeing as topics regarding war are banned in ICDs, a Spacecraft Exchange thread about a warcraft your corp made would be ICD or just normal RP. It would be set out the same way, after all.

Your general opinions on In Character Discussion.

RedDwarfIV

I like this. So basically you\'re saying we should talk about things we\'re doing in the game?

Exactly.

My \'Ibis X2 Disaster Mission\' thread is a perfect example. I posted a thread about Veto Aerospace\'s response to the loss of an Ibis X-class, which I took screenshots of, which RPers then talked about in character. That\'s what an In Character Discussion/Single-Side Role Play would be.

You will eventually get a forum for fan written stories. As to an active participation type conversation? No, that is role-play which we have determined does not work on these forums.

You are free to create a craft or mod under a fictional company name and create a story behind it, but they belong on their specific boards.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.