A Picture Of The Mun

CaptainApollo

Dug out my old el cheapo telescope (no seriously like 30 bucks) and grabbed my sisters rebel SL1 and snapped a decent pic. At first it was quite bright and fuzzy due to fog but thanks to some amateur photo editing I got this:

ga93g8m.jpg

Its the lower right section of the Moon, with some nice craters there. (the curvature towards the top was from the telescope eyepiece)

I don't have a telescope, nor a good telescopic lens for my half-baked camera, so no good photos of la lune. The best I can give you is one I took in Brazil last summer. Ah. Never mind, can't put it up online.]

MOD: please delete this post!

Edited by justidutch
please delete me!

Dug out my old el cheapo telescope (no seriously like 30 bucks) and grabbed my sisters rebel SL1 and snapped a decent pic. At first it was quite bright and fuzzy due to fog but thanks to some amateur photo editing I got this:

http://i.imgur.com/ga93g8m.jpg

Its the lower right section of the Moon, with some nice craters there. (the curvature towards the top was from the telescope eyepiece)

Are you just pressing the lens up against the eye piece? You really need to use an adapter. I wonder though, what the best way to take a photo of the moon would be.... I'd imagine you'd want a somewhat high f-number and a fast shutter so to capture the details otherwise obscured by the radiant light.

Don't have anything decent for the job :( but could be fun to tinker with.

Here are a couple that I posted in another thread a couple of years ago:

http://i.imgur.com/lDWAvnY.jpg

Both were taken on the same evening with a 300 mm lens mounted on a Canon 70D (no telescope). Jupiter and four of its moons can be seen in the lower image.

I'm speechless....that picture of jupiter....I need to point my telescope towards it!

I know these aren't space pictures, but there've been a couple spectacular sunsets in the shots here, so I thought I'd post these sunrises, both taken using my phone.

From my front porch, looking east:

1qRaCbl.jpg

And this is from the top of the mountain you can see in the right part of the above photo, looking south. It was completely overcast at the bottom of the (2.5 mile) hike uphill. We hiked up through the cloud layer, emerged into starlight and reached the summit just as the sun crested the ridges to the east:

NcfWVE1.jpg

A telescope would be nice (I don't have one, always wanted one), but a good pair of binoculars works well also... the kind you can mount on a tripod spotter-scope like. Then you can watch the moons of Jupiter (if you've patience and time enough) move in their orbits, from time to time disappearing behind/in-front-of Jupiter. Pretty cool.

Are you just pressing the lens up against the eye piece? You really need to use an adapter. I wonder though, what the best way to take a photo of the moon would be.... I'd imagine you'd want a somewhat high f-number and a fast shutter so to capture the details otherwise obscured by the radiant light.

Don't have anything decent for the job :( but could be fun to tinker with.

You'd want to bracket your shots exposure-wise. As for the aperture (F-stop), you won't want a high number (trying to gain depth of field), being you're shooting through another set of optics, therefore ending up needing to increase your exposure time. And you'd want a very slow (timed) shutter speed... fast is for, like, freezing action. I would allow the camera to give a meter reading first to see what it suggests, then bracket shots.

Nice shots tater.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.