Navigation, contracts and rocketting a plane

I'm currently trying to gather credits by doing contracts and have a couple of questions that all you clever people here will surely be able to help me with.

1) Is the navball icon denoting the contract for which I have activated navigation the only guide to how close I'm getting to it?

The contract is on the opposite side of Kerbin and it's taking quite a while to get there in the basic jet plane I built (26 parts / 7.0 tonne). The contract requires observations from two nearby locations while flying and two others (also nearby) on the ground. The current plan is to get the two by flying the plane over them (surprise, surprise!) and the others by parachuting the plane to the surface and going extra-vehicle to walk to each.

2) I'm sure there are better ways to fulfil the contract but is this a reasonable way to do it?

3) I thought of launching the plane with rockets to cut the journey time i.e. a sub-orbital trajectory but can't work out how to attach the rockets to the plane. Can this even be done?

Edited by Wakaleo

1. Navball shows direction (I don't think it tells distance, actually), map view shows the actual place on the planet (roughly, though).

2. They are one of the types of contracts that I start rejecting early - usually I just do it once and then reject forever. Especially for Kerbin ones you don't have turbojets until mid-career but you start getting "above 17km" contracts right away. They were doable with the old jets, but not any more in 1.0, and contract parameters aren't changed, so... For bucks I go rescues, and for science I go Mun/Minmus. No point worrying about those low-return time-consuming contracts.

3. It can be done, and it's even done by a pure rocket - of course, one target at a time.

1) Is the navball icon denoting the contract for which I have activated navigation the only guide to how close I'm getting to it?

On map view, you can click on the target icon and make it your target. Then it will show a symbol on your navball indicating exact direction. (but not distance)

The contract is on the opposite side of Kerbin and it's taking quite a while to get there in the basic jet plane I built (26 parts / 7.0 tonne). The contract requires observations from two nearby locations while flying and two others (also nearby) on the ground. The current plan is to get the two by flying the plane over them (surprise, surprise!) and the others by parachuting the plane to the surface and going extra-vehicle to walk to each.

It is quite doable (mechanically) using just the basic jet engine, but it is also quite impossible(humanly). You are looking at a 3-4 hour flight to get there!

Remember these points:

*An observation "above" a certain height can be *any* height above, including orbit.

*it is much easier to get to the other side of the planet, by flying above the atmosphere. This means turbojet or rapier plane, or if those are unavailable, a simple (sub?)orbital rocket.

*It is not that hard to build a rocket that can land, repack chutes, and bunny-hop again to another location nearby.

Personally, I leave one Kerbal in a pod in Polar orbit around Kerbin, with one of each instrument available on the pod.

**all** of the observation "above", and "science from space" missions get done by this same guy, free of charge.

If you do a lot of these, the waypoint manager mod is pretty sweet. It simply adds the markers to your normal view instead of just your map view.

Almost anything is possible in KSP, so if you want to try a rocket launched plane, go for it.

Thanks for the great tips, people. Looks like there's several options, including scrapping these contracts and doing something more profitable (thanks FancyMouse).

MarvinKitFox, you have some interesting ideas - I like the orbiting Kerbal and the bunny-hop idea, but how do you repack a parachute?

cybersol, that would be a great help. Looks like that's one to install.

I did build a rocket with wings but couldn't stop it going base over apex when trying to level out. I reverted before any Kerbals were harmed!

Remember these points:

*An observation "above" a certain height can be *any* height above, including orbit.

*it is much easier to get to the other side of the planet, by flying above the atmosphere. This means turbojet or rapier plane, or if those are unavailable, a simple (sub?)orbital rocket.

*It is not that hard to build a rocket that can land, repack chutes, and bunny-hop again to another location nearby.

Personally, I leave one Kerbal in a pod in Polar orbit around Kerbin, with one of each instrument available on the pod.

**all** of the observation "above", and "science from space" missions get done by this same guy, free of charge.

I didn't realise that orbit counts as 'flying above'. I assumed that had to be in atmosphere. I actually did a couple of those by reentering over those areas. Orbit would have been way easier.

If you do a lot of these, the waypoint manager mod is pretty sweet. It simply adds the markers to your normal view instead of just your map view…

Is the distance to target and ETA to the targeted waypoints part of the mod too, or is that stock?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.