Battlestar Galactica Mark I Colonial Viper v 2.0 [KSP 1.0][STOCK]

Guest Space Cowboy

Guest Space Cowboy

Viper love ...

VIPER.mp4_snapshot_01.41_2015.06.05_12.49.04_zpselp4ilxe.jpg

screenshot707_zpssamldzo5.jpg

screenshot658_zpsn7zwrvcw.png

I may try a couple things to see if she'll SSTO but even so when you get there you'll have nothing left to burn. Without a mod or infinite fuel I doubt flight to space will be fun. Someone needs to make a full scale Battlestar and Cylon Base - in a 3D program not from stock parts.

Edited by Space Cowboy

Guest Space Cowboy

Thanks for the comments. They encouraged me to keep going. Looks better, flies better. Aft section basically rebuilt from scratch. All visual wing distractions dealt with (I think?) It had a frame core before but now it has a fuel tank core. It will take a lot of abuse on landing now thanks to a few struts. Full RCS. SSTO envelope unknown. Still stock - look for a dramatic release in a day or two. I have one minor adjustment to make as somehow the twin front tubes picked up a small but distracting twist. Will be very easy to resolve.

V2.5

screenshot8_zpsi3c308uj.png

screenshot34_zpsw8uljq2f.png

screenshot11_zpsdpkrswr3.png

Mod suggestions welcome. I am thinking of the paint / skinning mod, and possibly some different engines. Working guns for sure and probably a wing mounted cam.

Edited by Space Cowboy

Guest Space Cowboy

Flashjeb your assessments were accurate. I had not done a blueprint check but your comment has prompted it. THANKS!

3_zps56u3g6rq.jpg

Vertical stabilizer is too big, and my nose is to short as you noticed. Engines are too long.

2_zpsmegrkfy3.jpg

This pic is a composite between the fuselage blueprint and the wing, and I BELIEVE this wing I cut and pasted is FLAT, appearing wider in this pic I have made below. Looking at the front view above, my wing span looks ok.

1_zpsgxsbrswr.jpg

============== PROGRESS AS OF 16:18 ZULU 08JUN15 ==============

Note: transition from front half to rear half still to go, and looks like engines all need to shift fwd. Out of time right now.

Note: color picture I was referencing above with the vertical stabilizer - IT IS TOO SHORT (other web references including actual model) I am happy with the new vert stab shown below. Bottom engines too low.

front_Mark%20I%20Viper%20V%203_1_zpsn3mosrt6.png

Edited by Space Cowboy

Guest Space Cowboy

I have version 4 "prototype" flying now and I am not sure why but it performs better (more stability and speed) than the others.

I have a hidden rudder and elevator in the nose. I placed them a but aft and that may have calmed it down a little.

Something was holding "version 3" back not sure if it was weight, or the new aerodynamic masking / shadows, or my interfering with the engine exhaust.

Planning a little addon function for reactor thermal runaway emergency scenario (cockpit sep).

Found out by looking at the blueprints I had gone way too complicated on the engine / fuselage construction. Snapping the side engines and the top engine on a central fuel tank is perfectly fine.

1_zpscwyfancd.jpg

Disclaimer: I have run into a problem with getting the nose cone "right". I am on the shallowest incremental angle on the side tubes, and to have the right length, it just ends up being a bit too wide near the cockpit. I COULD go into the CRAFT and hand enter the angle, but I'm not going to.

front_Mark%20I%20Viper%20V%203_2_zpswkefpggt.jpg

Hoping to knock this out today. But can't rush it.

Edited by Space Cowboy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.