Ckan Just Opens and Closes :(

Hi guys

Linux Mint 64bit

Kerbal Space Program 64bit

Running CKAN.exe on the desktop

I have done the following:

[LIST]
[*]Linux users, please apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev or yum install libcurl-devel if you have not already done so.
[*]Mac/Linux/Mono users: please mozroots --import --ask-remove if you're a new user, to update mono's certificate store.
[/LIST]

However, when I run CKAN, this happens:

VaOnQSB.jpg

CKAN just opens, you see the program border, and after about 5 seconds it closes itself. I have no idea what to do.

Can anybody help me?

Edited by OddFunction

The error is pretty clear. It's attempting to access a file that it doesn't have permission to. I'm guessing it's an ownership issue, but it could be permission flags. It might be a problem with the registry.json file, or the directory that contains it. Make sure the user you're executing CKAN as has write permission to both and see if that affects anything. If this is a reproducible problem, perhaps report a bug to the CKAN team so they can catch the exception and present a human-readable error message before exiting.

Note that I'm not exactly linux savvy but you could try adding 'sudo' before the commands to see if that makes stuff more working, seeing as sudo should make you able to write just about anywhere. The mozroots command is user specific though so you'll have to rerun it with sudo to not get TLS errors instead.

...you could try adding 'sudo...'

Don't. Running things that don't need root as root is a terrible idea and will probably compromise system security, among other things. Also, doing so will likely bugger up permissions further.

Find the offending file / directory permissions and fix them.

- - - Updated - - -

For example, 'find ./ ! -user <username>' will find files/directories not owned by <username> and 'find ./ -perm u-rw' will list files/directories the the owner does not have read/write access to.

You could then use finds '-exec' argument with chown/chmod to automate the fixing.

go to your ksp directory in the terminal and run
 chmod 777 CKAN/registry.json 

this should make make the problem file readable

Wow. That fixed everything. It fixed the autoupdate error and the no GUI error. Thank you so much!

Setting file permissions to "free for all" sounds a mite extreme to me. Not quite as bad as running as root, but I wouldn't chmod 777 anything on my system unless it really needed it. I sure hope that file poses no security risk, as you've just set it read/write for anyone. I doubt it needs the execute bit set either.

While it probably won't cause any grief opening up CKANs files to every man & his dog (and I assume this is a single-user machine), do not get into the habit of doing this to "fix" permissions issues, it's a system security nightmare.

Edited by steve_v

Very, very correct.

Better option:

Make sure file is owned by your user account (username ksp-linux-dedicated according to that screenshot)

sudo chown ksp-linux-dedicated CKAN/registry.json

Set the file permissions to something a little more reasonable - read/write for the user, read-only for everybody else

chmod 644 CKAN/registry.json

Ya, this kind of thing reminds me why I can't stand the Ubuntu community. So. Much. Bad. Advice.

I sure hope people are reading the manuals, rather than just copy/pasting random commands off the 'net... 'cause that would be exceedingly silly...

• 1 year later...

Ok here is how you fix this.

1. In finder go to the drop-down menu "go" and type: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common

2. open your Kerbal Space program folder.

3. Place ckan.exe here.

4. Go on folder back. 

5. Open Terminal and type: cd Then hit space DON'T PRESS ENTER YET.

6. Drag the folder "Kerbal Space program" into terminal and then hit enter.

7. Type

chmod 777 CKAN/registry.json

8. Run ckan from here using mono "mono ckan.exe"

This worked for me.

I am using osx El Caplitan.

Edited by Larste

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.