P-38 Lighting [0.15 Stock and Mod Options]

Kerbal P-38 with Damned Aerospace Prop Mod

t4vkoo.png

*More unstable agile than stock model due to Jeb\'s clever omission of vector thrust engines!*

Kerbal P-38 Stock

2nlxrbl.png

Very stable aircraft, make sure to climb to thicker air before trying some aerobatics.

Original WWII P-38 Fighter

hilgert_p-38_01.jpg

Some design sacrifices were necessary to make the thing flyable (and build-able, for that matter).

- Due to the insane amount of lift in the forward section, the outboard wings had to be shortened and their overall look simplified as compared to the original.

- Separated tail section due to construction constraints (wing boards clip inside the fuselages if turned 90 degrees; struts help strengthen the aft section anyway)

Enjoy!

Nice! I chose to make an 'Evolved into a jet version' variant using modern jet plane style wing positioning (Here\'s the thread). I was also pleasantly surprised by how good the handling was on mine - must be something about all that wing surface in both cases.

Did you consider using the 'swept wing' part instead of the wing connector + delta on the outboard front? They\'d have a lift rating of 1.6 on each side on the outboard part instead of the current 2.9, which should help with the excess front lift. I understand that it\'s not quite as good a match for the look, though.

Nice! I chose to make an 'Evolved into a jet version' variant using modern jet plane style wing positioning (Here\'s the thread). I was also pleasantly surprised by how good the handling was on mine - must be something about all that wing surface in both cases.

Did you consider using the 'swept wing' part instead of the wing connector + delta on the outboard front? They\'d have a lift rating of 1.6 on each side on the outboard part instead of the current 2.9, which should help with the excess front lift. I understand that it\'s not quite as good a match for the look, though.

Jet version looks pretty sweet! 8) I\'ll have to give it a try. I hadn\'t played around with the 'swept wing' at all (kinda forgot it existed). So I\'ll see what effect it has, might be good for the tail end.

Can you try replacing the jets with Damned propellers?

I\'ll try the props later tonight if I get a chance, should be interesting to see how it performs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.