Dimnishing Biome returns

Suggestion: Surface-based biome-specific experiments from a single celestial body should yield dimnishing returns. If I vist 4 biomes of a planet/moon, I should have learned enough about it to not really have a reaon to come back unless I have new experiments or want to be really thorough. As a starting point, I'd say about 75% of the available sciene from each body (per experiment) should be accessible from the first four biomes.

Reasoning: Currently, there is no real incencitive to ever visit other planets from a science/funds balancing standpoint. I can unlock the entire tech-tree without leaving Kerbins SOI with repetetive missions to the many biomes of Mun and Minmus. If the science rewards would start to drop significantly after maybe 3-4 biomes, the player would be encouraged to actualy explore other bodies, while keeping rovers/suborbital hops/landings at biome border-type mssions attractive. Bonus effect: This prevents the boring science gains from the KSC building biomes.

Notes:

- I know that this is not enough to fix the entire balancing problem of career mode. This is just a step into what is i feel is the right direction. Please don't discuss science labs, the repeating "free money/science" contracts "Science data from XYZ" etc. here.

- I am not suggesting increasing the value of the first experiments because I want to drain science from the system.

- Increasing endgame tech science costs does not prevent the problems described. Instead, it actually drives the player towards repeating missions to be able to purchase these techs.

- The biomes on Kerbin might be a problem for a seperate discussion. I want to be encouraged to visit the poles/deserts/mountains, but the "walk around KSC for science" situation is ridiculous. Let's focus this discussion on all the other non-Kerbin celestials.

- This is about surface-based science. Polar orbit satellites should still be more valuable than equatorial ones.

The second biome can already give fewer science. Let us say for example that each biome gives 15% fewer science than the biome before. This will not be that much less in the first few, and very few when doing a lot of biomes but has no hard turnnig point at which the reduction starts.

Anyway, very good idea.

I see what you're saying but I think the biomes are OK at the moment. New players can grind out the science within Kerbin's SOE, perhaps doing a trip to Duna as a grand finale before going their own way with a fully unlocked tech tree. More experienced players can mix it up a bit and go interplanetary earlier. Just because you can complete the tech tree at the Mün / Minmus, there's nothing that says you have to. :)

As an example, my current Science mode game had a couple of self-imposed restrictions: 1) Build a space station in LKO before sending landing missions to the muns*. 2)No solo landings on other celestial bodies. It's been an interesting change of pace science-wise, I'm going to want a second trip to Minmus to unlock all the instrument goodies for my first Duna probes but I expect to get quite a lot of science there and at the other planets as launch windows open. Then it's going to be a full on infrastructure push to explore the Mun in style!

Just as an aside, I'm not sure I'd agree with "If I vist 4 biomes of a planet/moon, I should have learned enough about it to not really have a reaon to come back" either. The Apollo missions only scratched the surface of things we could learn about the Moon - if the funds and the political will for more missions had been there, I'm betting the geologists would have been all over those too.

*I had hoped to get the station in place before doing anything outside of LKO but that turned out to be a restriction too far - couldn't unlock the required techs without at least going to Munar orbit.

Edited by KSK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.