Energia Booster replica

ss20110727160623gzu.png

This was the ultimate goal of my 2 meter part selection - to build the Energia booster system. It doesn't function exactly the same, but looks pretty close to the original. (compare to this)

Plus, it's perfectly orbit-capable.

I can't upload the ship file yet however. The ejectable nosecone isn't complete yet, and is just a dummy covering the command module right now.

I've read quite a few books about the Energia-Buran system, and it's always been one of my favorite launch vehicles. Yours is looking pretty awesome there.

Here's what I would do, though: Use a larger fuel tank (since Energia is comparable in size to the STS), and use (or design if one doesn't yet exist) a 1x3m-4x2m coupler so you can attach four of your engines to it.

Also I really like the solids in your pack, but is there any way to make them liquid engines? Maybe make the solid booster three parts; one whole solid for when you want to use that, one liquid tank based on the upper portion of the solid, and one liquid engine based on its lower portion.

No real reason for having you do all that work other than I LOVE throttling :)

And now that I see what your parts were originally intended for, I think I'm going to take a crack at making an Energia in Vulcan-Hercules configuration.

vOW91Mg

Also now that I think about it, the configuration you've designed with the single engine is actually more correct to the Energia-M, which had two Zenits and a single engine on the core stage, rather than four Zenits and four engines on the core stage like the Energia configurations used for Polyus and Buran:

vOW91NQ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.