Re entry don't affect flight almost non at all :-(

Pawelk198604

The last eve aerobrake I did, well it was my first as well, are through around 1000 ablator via two passes at around 70km so they are very useful there. My duna return of the other hand barely went though any coming back to kerbin. I do feel that I add parts because I think they should be there rather than efficiency. Almost all my ships have a heat shield on them as real ones do.

Tell that to my craft for last Reddit challenge. It went bananas several times when I tried to aerobrake at Laythe, and the successful aerobraking only helped a bit, I had to burn the engine before and after the atmo - before to not burn up, after - to insert into orbit. Still lost all the solar panels. Any lower than that and craft goes puff.

So, No, Heating is okay.

Crank it up to 120% and install Deadly Reentry. Yes, direct interplanetary aerobraking after a Hohmann transfer is possible, but you need to do it carefully.

- - - Updated - - -

Tell that to my craft for last Reddit challenge. It went bananas several times when I tried to aerobrake at Laythe, and the successful aerobraking only helped a bit, I had to burn the engine before and after the atmo - before to not burn up, after - to insert into orbit. Still lost all the solar panels. Any lower than that and craft goes puff.

So, No, Heating is okay.

Crafts are not meant to perform reentries like that, and anything flimsy on them will get torn away. It's called realism and the more of it the better (unless it's really hardcore).

i never used heatshields for minmus-kerbin...

its almost as if you say "fuel is mega-efficient, as i use just 10% of my 100k LFO for minmus and back."

f you oversize (heatshield for kerbin at ~2500m/s) you equipment, it sure seems as you are overpowered

- cause you ARE!

Crafts are not meant to perform reentries like that, and anything flimsy on them will get torn away. It's called realism and the more of it the better (unless it's really hardcore).

That's why I said heating is okay. It works fine and you can feel it, so we don't need more of it.

Now, if you keep down that snarky tone, it would be better.

I cant actually get a Duna aerocapture to work anymore. 10km PE @ 1500m/s and I still have escape velocity. Any lower and I run the risk of lithobraking into a mountain.

Sorry had to laugh at the lithobraking into the mountain bit. :kiss: But, when you tried lithobraking on Duna... Did you notice your Ap going down at all? MY guess that it is going down. Just like you mentioned. Not enough to be helpful. Also did you use the airbrake part too?

Crank it up to 120% and install Deadly Reentry. Yes, direct interplanetary aerobraking after a Hohmann transfer is possible, but you need to do it carefully.

- - - Updated - - -

Human crafts are not... Kerbal crafts are... :P

THe heat shields have to be able to take interplanetary reentries, so it makes sense that they wouldn't take much of a hit from a slower reentry. That said, if you do a high-ish reentry from Minmus (35K periapsis), you'll burn away almost 40% of the ablator!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.