[1.0.4] Simple Asymmetrical Airplane

Wanting to postpone flight testing my newest SSTO with an 8 module station cargo (that unfortunately increased the part count to 450), I decided to just mess around in the SPH instead, resulting in (somewhat inspired by the Blohm & Voss Bv-141):

KkIzHOqh.png

xgNkVOih.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It surprisingly flies pretty well with SAS on and only a little squirrelly (but still controllable) with SAS off; rolling looks a little strange but works just fine.

SAS, full left yaw, and mid-throttle are required for initial runway acceleration up to ~40 m/s (to prevent veering off the side of the runway), after which SAS can hold it straight for the rest of takeoff.

CoM and CoL balance is achieved with a little asymmetrical fuel, and I don't know how flyable it is when the tanks are near empty, but because jets now drain fuel evenly, it shouldn't be too problematic.

Download

-Ojimak

Edited by Ojimak

One thing which KSP, even with FAR, might not include is the effect of the rotating prop-wash. It was this, rather than "torque", which tended to make the WW2 single-engined fighters pull to one side during takeoff. Anyway, a clockwise prop would have an effect which a jet engine doesn't.

Photos of the real thing also show more streamlining of the crew pod. Maybe a Tail Connector rather than a reversed Nose Cone? There is a slight weight saving, but it would look a bit long. I'm trying to stay Stock, but a Glass Nose nosecone would be a nice add-on part, whether for German WW2 aircraft or a B29/B36/B50. It doesn't have to do anything, just look different to solid metal-stuff.

(The B36 feels rather Kerbalish: a mix of prop and jet engines, and they tested a "parasite" fighter which could be deteched to defend the bomber.)

I really wasn't going for a replica at all - I just wanted to test an asymmetrical airframe, and used this design since I knew it at least worked IRL. First thing I'd do if I wanted to make a replica is flip the main wings around and throw in some offset Comms DTS-M1s on the shock cone for a propeller-like look.

(My priority was flyability and simplicity for a proof of concept in the new drag model)

-Ojimak

I really wasn't going for a replica at all - I just wanted to test an asymmetrical airframe, and used this design since I knew it at least worked IRL. First thing I'd do if I wanted to make a replica is flip the main wings around and throw in some offset Comms DTS-M1s on the shock cone for a propeller-like look.

(My priority was flyability and simplicity for a proof of concept in the new drag model)

-Ojimak

I did mess around a bit, using the Kerbal Aircraft Extension for the prop engine.

1: Without the need for the jet at the back I could use the Stock Tail Connectors. They're a bit long for the crew pod, though some parts Mods have alternative 1.25m nosecones that are more pointy

2: The setup needs adjusting for a prop engine. It has to be moved forward so as to clear the crew pod's nose.

3: I also tried the 0.625m jet engine from Modular Rocket Systems. Plenty of power.

It all flew, and I could land it. I then did some messing around in the SPH and built a twin-turboprop transport plane using some KAX parts. It flew pretty well, first time, though I get a bit finger-tangled when flying planes in KSP. TweakScale and some sort of Fuel Switch mod helps a lot. You can easily replace oxidiser with fuel.

I would be surprised if KSP couldn't cope with asymmetry: that's a feature of the Space Shuttle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.