[1.0.5] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.0.2 Released!

Nils277

I'm really glad you like the new wheel part.

Has anyone found relevant bugs? Or wrong resource settings in the LS mods? I triple checked them but with this lots of parts there might have been some mistakes.

Do we get any more Templates to play with :) and thanks for the update.

I'll update the templates soon. Still have to decide which parts should go in there and update their UV as most of them are now in one big 1024² texture.

i noticed you added a Life Support tab to the part catalog. any chance of another tab containing all your base parts?

I have added this option with this update :wink: Just open the "KPBS_settings.cfg" in GameData/PlanetaryBaseInc and set separateFunctionFilter = true

So, just for those who are curious, here is what i want to add in the next update:

• Support for RPM, CTT and hopefully Filter Extension
  • The missing IVAs
  • Update of the airlocks/hatches
  • Size3 adapter for 3 bases
  • (maybe) vertical adapter and cross section for Base profile
  • (maybe) support for Keepfit and Kabinkraziness and Deepfreeze

The last two "maybes" may also be delayed to a later update.

Edited by Nils277

Hmm..i have not tested it with MKS. Can you take a look into the KSP.log file and tell me if you see any exeptions there?

Are the MKS tabs only deleted when you set separateFunctionFilter = true or also when it is set to false?

Edited by Nils277

Hmm..i have not tested it with MKS. Can you take a look into the KSP.log file and tell me if you see any exeptions there?

Are the MKS tabs only deleted when you set separateFunctionFilter = true or also when it is set to false?

only when it's set to true. where may i find this ksp.log file?

ok i saw in the OP that there was a rocket with a fairing in the MIDDLE of the rocket... i haven't even tried to do that yet but was wondering how i would do it... do i need two fairing bases?

No, you just have to use one fairing base, and build the fairing to the next part of the stack (like the decoupler). The fairing should "snap" to that part, and you have an inline fairing.

No, you just have to use one fairing base, and build the fairing to the next part of the stack (like the decoupler). The fairing should "snap" to that part, and you have an inline fairing.

cool. i figured that out while tackling the "hangers/garage" problem i saw in the OP

thought i might as well show off what i'm planning to put on my mun base.

@nils277: you might want to go along the same lines as what i've done here (maybe make the service bay larger? with adapters? or make an expandable hanger like the "hangers" mod.) :D i'm already using this idea in 4 main bases on 2 planets (mainly for crew transfer between loading dock and mining base)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

the rover body and light is scaled down but everything else isn't, it gets to 10m/s so i'm happy. speeding around the mun and going to and from my portable mining bases and launch sites.

Edited by AntiMatter001

Organics is a new resource, yes? I see we can use it to produce food in the greenhouse (TAC-LS), but is there a way to mine or produce organics as well? Or is it currently a nonreplenishable resources (not counting supply runs from Kerbin)?

You can use the Algae Farm Container to generate Organics from Waste and Ore. So you will still eventually run out of Waste/Food because the "Waste → Food" conversion has a loss of 25% from generating the organics. But it will prolong your mission.

Also only the greenhouses and the algae farm can hold Organics at the moment. So you won't be able to ship a lot of it with you.

Note on the Organics resource: It is compliant with the definition in CRP, so it will not break other mods using this resource.

Edited by Nils277

Sounds good! A closed loop would ultimately be nice, but I understand your design decision 100% for having some kind of loss. Though, a 25% conversion loss seems a bit high (at least when you're far away on Lythe). I'll probably end up playing with the Waste/Food/Organics ratios to lower it to 10-15% on my save.

This already awesome mod is getting better and better! I appreciate the work!!

Uhm, which life support consumption settings have you used? Cause with 6 kerbals small oxygen container lasts 800 days, small food container - 400 days and so on. Way too much IMO.

Also, we really need a set of parts to use these containers with ordinary vessels.

Other than that, this is a perfect mod. Quite stockalike, very small memory footprint, awesome-looking and very useful.

Also, I hve a request. We really need a piece of gangway with attachment point for landing legs. Very difficult to move them around, and radial attaching legs makes alighment difficult.

Edited by sashan

the rover body and light is scaled down but everything else isn't, it gets to 10m/s so i'm happy. speeding around the mun and going to and from my portable mining bases and launch sites.

How do you drive the rover back inside the hangar? KSP wheels are bad for climbing even smallest steps.

Sounds good! A closed loop would ultimately be nice, but I understand your design decision 100% for having some kind of loss. Though, a 25% conversion loss seems a bit high (at least when you're far away on Lythe). I'll probably end up playing with the Waste/Food/Organics ratios to lower it to 10-15% on my save.

This already awesome mod is getting better and better! I appreciate the work!!

With a conversion efficiency of 75% the overall supply of food lasts four times longer, i think this is a relatively long time. I think about adding options to make a closed lifecycle or at least for some planets, e.g getting CO2 on planets with atmosphere but without oxygen or the possibility to get WasteWater from Minmus(ice) or Laythe (water?). For the food i have to find find a reasonable way to make it possible but not that easy to sustain.

Uhm, which life support consumption settings have you used? Cause with 6 kerbals small oxygen container lasts 800 days, small food container - 400 days and so on. Way too much IMO.

Also, we really need a set of parts to use these containers with ordinary vessels.

Other than that, this is a perfect mod. Quite stockalike, very small memory footprint, awesome-looking and very useful.

Also, I hve a request. We really need a piece of gangway with attachment point for landing legs. Very difficult to move them around, and radial attaching legs makes alighment difficult.

I used the stock settings for the life support consumption but maybe i made a mistake calculating the capacity. Which LS-Mod are you using? There are three with oxygen as a resource. :D

To calculate the capacity of the LS containers i used the Size2 or Size1 containers the LS mods provided as a reference and multiplied their capacity with the volume difference between them.

Where possible i used Size2 with:

Capacity = ("Capacity of Size2"/4)*("Depth of Size2"/"Depth of Container")

or for Size1:

Capacity = "Capacity of Size1"*("Depth of Size1"/"Depth of Container")

E.g. for Oxygen in TAC i used the capacity of the Size2 oxygen tank with 486496.4L divided it by four for the small container and multiplied it with 1.5 because the container is ~1.7-1-8 times deepter than the TAC container. This resulted in the 182436.2L the small oxygen container currently has for TAC.

The attachment point for the gangways is a good idea, haven't thought about that until now.

Two modular storages (with four and eight places) are planned for the size2 profile :wink:

Edited by Nils277

For what it's worth, I figure that needing to mine for ore disqualifies a station as being 'closed loop' at all; you've simply exchanged the need for external resupply of Supplies for resupply of Ore. It just happens that Ore is accessible from the place you're parked on. For a planetary habitats mod, this seems entirely reasonable - what you've prevented is the ability to run indefinitely (ha) in a vacuum.

I'd be totally fine with greenhouses reaching 90%, and then algae+mining operations letting you reach 100%, with the 'losses' being supplimented by Ore.

It still means your space stations need supply runs, but lets your planetary bases do a little farmin' of the soil. Which is the point, right? :)

Edited by Reiver

I used the stock settings for the life support consumption but maybe i made a mistake calculating the capacity. Which LS-Mod are you using? There are three with oxygen as a resource. :D

TAC-LS. Waste tanks are lasting even longer. I feel that mod needs some balancing...

TAC-LS. Waste tanks are lasting even longer. I feel that mod needs some balancing...

The waste container has the same capacity for waste as the food container.

As said, i used the original TAC container as reference. And 3 Size1 container for oxygen which have approximatly the same volume as the container also provide oxygen for 714 days for 6 Kerbals.

What do you think would be reasonable for the capacities?

More people that think that the storages are overpowered?

I will do a second iteration for the LS mods to rebalance them appropriate to the suggestion from all of you. So feedback is very welcome

Hey I dont seem to see the KIS containers :o Any reason as to why?

Do you have Module-Manager installed? The KIS container needs it now to be available.

Edited by Nils277

How do you drive the rover back inside the hangar? KSP wheels are bad for climbing even smallest steps.

Uhm two points I need to make.

1) I reverse back in. :P

2) those tracks don't use stock wheel mechanics. Hell that rover was small enough to climb the various stairs in and around the KSC.

Well, actually they use stock Unity wheel mechanics. So they are raycasted. I've tested it many times.

On the topic. The new retracting landing-gear-wheels are crazy. THey have more torque then dragster cars. :P My 15 tons modules can lift front wheels off ground with them very easily. THey also accelerate crazily fast. IMO you should nerf the torque.

I'm finding they judder and 'drag' on the ground a lot like a broken wheel does, though they're still intact as far as I can tell.

Is this a matter of overloading, or because the wheels aren't directly perpendicular to the earth?

I do have KIS and modulemanager installed. but none of the KIS parts are showing up, Is anybody else haveing this issue? cause the life support parts are showing up but the KIS parts arent.

Edited by Hellbrand

I'm finding they judder and 'drag' on the ground a lot like a broken wheel does, though they're still intact as far as I can tell.

Is this a matter of overloading, or because the wheels aren't directly perpendicular to the earth?

Hmm....that might be. Can you send me the .craft file. I'll look into it.

The weird thing is, that the whell and the model are at a ~12° angle to be perpendicular to the earth when on the parts...I have no idea why they aren't in the game.

Well, actually they use stock Unity wheel mechanics. So they are raycasted. I've tested it many times.

On the topic. The new retracting landing-gear-wheels are crazy. THey have more torque then dragster cars. :P My 15 tons modules can lift front wheels off ground with them very easily. THey also accelerate crazily fast. IMO you should nerf the torque.

You are right, i will probably nerv them. Funny thing is they already have as much torque as the stock wheel with the least torque...

I do have KIS and modulemanager installed. but none of the KIS parts are showing up, Is anybody else haveing this issue? cause the life support parts are showing up but the KIS parts arent.

Oh i just saw the problem the model definition is wrong in the "PlanetaryBaseInc/Parts/Mod_Support/KIS/tank_KIS.cfg

it should be:

MODEL
{
model = PlanetaryBaseInc/Parts/Mod_Support/KIS/tank_KIS
}

sorry about that, i will upload a fix soon.

Edited by Nils277