Simple Orbital Rescue & Re-Entry with X-1 Micro Shuttle

Goddess Bhavani

I have been using micro shuttles as early career workhorses for some time - they are winged Mk.1 designs intended to be an upgrade over the traditional Mk.1 ballistic capsule as the wings allow some measure of cross-range capability - aimed right they can glide back to a perfect runway landing like the precursor to a proper Space Shuttle program.

Here is a 3D 'screenshot' of the craft, the X-1:

I get a fair bit of comments about the airworthiness of such a craft so I made a short video depicting a routine orbital rescue mission, re-entry and landing.

There is no heatshield for re-entry - heat is simply drawn away from the hot front end of the craft via a radiator mounted on the service bays, as well as the wings generating lift to control descent rate.

Landing is full manual to demonstrate the natural stability of this wing configuration - yaw control is cross coupled with roll, but there is sufficient lateral stability to ensure pointing accuracy.

The service bay doors serve as spoilers and landing gear, too!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.