Lining up Asteroid Day Assets Properly

I'm trying to detect asteroids in Eeloo's orbit, so I launched a telescope out to approximate the orbit of Jool around Kerbol. It's approximately circular with roughly the right semimajor axis, and is inclined to Eeloo's orbit by 0.0 degrees, but when I right-click on the telescope the game informs me that the telescope is misaligned with Eeloo. Is there anything I can do to get more information about how I can line things up more effectively?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can lend.

Edited by Nikolai

But basically u need to have your orbit inside your target planets orbit.

Thanks for your insight -- I think that might be it. (I was a little disappointed when Scott seemed to be flying to get to Eve's orbit, and I already have one of those doing its job rather nicely. When he went on to get inside Eve's orbit to start mapping Eve, I saw the wisdom of your words.) A circular orbit at Jool's distance from Kerbol is sometimes outside of Eeloo's orbit. Thankfully, I've got a fair amount of fuel and a nuclear engine on the thing, so I'll try bringing it completely within Eeloo's orbit and seeing what happens when I have time.

Update: That did the trick! The orbit is entirely within Eeloo's, and inclined to it at 0.0 degrees.

I brought the periapsis inside Eeloo's orbit first, which caused the telescope to complain about misalignment with Jool. Then I pushed the apoapsis out even further (but still within Eeloo's orbit), and it started mapping Eeloo! Asteroids spotted!

Thank you so much for your help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.