Efficient Destruction Challenge

Goal:

Destroy the VAB and the Launchpad in a fresh career game - by using the most basic technology and the least of funds.

Scoring:

total cost of required launches * (1.05 * [number of unlocked tech nodes]) + the repair cost of other damaged buildings

The lowest number wins of course.

The initial level 0 node doesn't count as 'unlocked', so the lowest tech solution's score equals the launch costs (if no other building is damaged).

You are free to upgrade facilities, upgrade costs won't affect scoring.

A flock of rabid lawyers will help you to cover the evidence of any casualty that may accidentally happen, so these won't change the score either.

Rules:

Stock parts only - though if you need a MechJeb module or something similar for *that*, noone will judge you. No tampering with physics, savegames, part values and such. Not sure how could it help, but please don't touch the debug menu either.

Background:

Let me skip names and details for plausible deniability. Our company recently acquired a nice, equitorial facility that will house our shiney space program. We also managed to sign a contract with a certain 'J. Kerman' - totally not the Kerbin-famous pilot. One of his (not his) terms of employment was to only use spaceplanes for whatever we do, as vertical launches bore him to death. To show our goodwill, we decided to ritually demolish the buildings required for using conventional rockets before he arrives to our premises. But efficiency is the most important thing for our company, so we are looking for the least demanding solution for this task.

Your efforts will be well rewarded - we thought of handing out nice looking badges. Feel free to grab it from my sig. What's more - the winner will get one embrodied with golden colored thread. Deal of the century I must say. Don't let me keep it!

Leaderboard:

- Draradech (2050)

- Evanitis (4751.25)

-

-

-

Edited by Evanitis

A few questions:

1. How much research are we allowed to do?

2. I assume no CTT? Though I don't think it changes the early nodes that much.

3. Is KJR okay?

4. Is upgrading facilities allowed?

5. Are the stockbugfix modules allowed? The stickylaunchpad fix might be needed here.

A few questions:

1. As much as you want, though if you check the scoring equation, you'll notice that each unlocked node increases the number by 5% - and the lowest one wins. I hope the 1.05 multiplier allows enough flexibility while rewarding low-tech solutions. Of course, the initial level 0 node doesn't count as 'unlocked' - I edited the OP for disambiguation.

2. I don't think CTT touches the default nodes, even less likely that it tampers with the early ones. It's OK.

3. I'd rather ban KJR - it falls in the 'physics/part changing' category. C'mon, those joins shouldn't last all the way to Jool or something. :P

4. Sure thing, I wouldn't limit someone's explosive creativity. The upgrade cost shouldn't be included in the score either - that would be too costy. Makes me wonder if leveling the target structures makes them any sturdier...

5. I'd rather disallow Stock Bugfix. It just does too many changes for me to check how it affects the challenge. The sticky launchpad bug is only relevant with a lv2 pad and a pretty heavy rocket. I assure you, that's not required to complete the task.

Edited by Evanitis

Any bonus for destroying both in one launch?

Not directly, as multiple rockets are inherently more costy anyways. Not to mention another difficulty of two launches that I don't want to spoil for those who didn't realize it instantly. :rolleyes:

1. Wouldn't unlocking all tech nodes result in a significant score boost? Unless you meant locked tech nodes, which would make more sense for scoring.

2. Since its a stock challenge, I'll just leave it out. Besides the increase in the number of nodes would give a huge boost to the score, whether you meant locked or unlocked nodes would contribute to the score.

3. Okay.

5. Okay. It was mostly the sticky launchpad thing that I was concerned about.

Edited by smjjames

1. Wouldn't unlocking all tech nodes result in a significant score boost?

I think you misunderstood - I blame my rusty English. Probably I could have worded better. Since the base of the scoring equation is the craft cost, lower final numbers are better. Unlocking nodes results in a higher number, while untouched (locked) nodes make no difference.

EDIT: Nope, you were totally right, it was my rusty math skills. I was thinking about a multiplier of 1.05 and not 0.05. Sorry about that, it was like 10 years ago when I had to do math the last time. Hope I didn't cause too much confusion. Editing the equation in the op with the correct constant.

Also, the sticky launchpad bug is indeed affecting light rockets too. But I still think that working around it is more fun than just a fix.

Edited by Evanitis

Phew, done it. Hope you forgive me that I posted the challenge without proving that it's possible - though we all knew that it was. What I didn't know is how difficult it can be with low-level tech. I thought it will be a light, half an hour task... Well, maybe it is for you, but I definately struggled much with it. Even when the final craft was built and I -knew- that both of it's components can work, it took me like a dozen tries to take down both targets in one launch.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It's definately not the most efficient method - I was *this* close to completing the mission with a substantially cheaper craft of a totally different design. So beat me!

Launch cost: 4525

Nodes unlocked: 1 (for the decoupler)

Final score: 4525 * 1.05 = 4751.25 (used a calculator to not make the same mistake twice in a row :confused:)

Edited by Evanitis

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Draradech said:

I think I can do it a lot cheaper :)

I'm intrigued. ^_^

I removed the version-reference from the OP - it didn't make much sense now that I think of it. I even doubt that many relevant changes happened since buildings are destructible.

Wow, that launchpad is hard to destroy. But I found a weakpoint during my experiments (I even repeated to make sure it wasn't a fluke, it's reproducible with this craft).

Anyway, here is my entry: http://imgur.com/a/PTDZX

2050 total, no nodes unlocked. Because there is no decoupler, this is 2 launches, with the appropriate solution for the obvious issue with that :)

Edited by Draradech

19 hours ago, Draradech said:

2050 total, no nodes unlocked.

Damn, that weak spot! Marvelous launches, and glorious designs. I haven't the slightest idea how could that be topped. And as I said, I prepared a badge embrodied with golden colored thread for this occasion:

JGRMax6.png

Edited by Evanitis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.