[Bug] Octagonal Strut explodes due "overheating"

Hello,

I'm sorry I can not give many details on this bug, but when I use this part on small probes, it kind of randomly explodes.

When F3 is pressed, it claims "due overheating", but neither it is in hot enviroment nor if it does it is not protected by aerodynamic shells or heatshields.

I'm encountering this SOMETIMES when launching/aerobreaking in atmospheres and physicwarp in orbits. Showing the temperature (F11) indicates no heat issue at all.

This one tends to bite me when I use warp in the atmosphere. There used to be an issue with the physics tic that heating would explode the part before the cooling part of the tic happened, may be related to that.

I had this problem too. I had a battery pack directly under the probe and it was overheating and exploding every time. I conducted a few tests and found that if I moved the battery pack further away from the probe the exploding stopped. Not sure if moving it away does actually help but in my case it did.

Press alt-F12->Physics->Thermal

Lower conductivity factor until the problem stops.

It doesn't happen for me using Deadly Reentry, which sets conductivityFactor to 3.3, so you should be ok at least that low. If not, go all the way to 1.

Same issue for me, don't 4x warp. the game has so many bugs, I hope that 1.1 or something at least does a full bug pass and fixes the segfaults, reentry lag and this. My tip is to leave the "Ignore Temperature" setting on, except when reentering or using nuclear engines. It's not cheating!

Same issue for me, don't 4x warp. the game has so many bugs, I hope that 1.1 or something at least does a full bug pass and fixes the segfaults, reentry lag and this. My tip is to leave the "Ignore Temperature" setting on, except when reentering or using nuclear engines. It's not cheating!

Or lower conductivity like I said

I've noticed this too, it has ruined a lot of missions for me. I had a mission to Moho all planned out in Career mode and it was ready to start heading for Moho but of course a load of stuff started overheating before I was even out of Kerbin's SOI.

I'm sure this happens to small parts and happens even more if there's stuff clipped into that part, even if it's meant to be clipped, like docking ports and how their model naturally clips into the parent part. This happens the most with the short Rockomax adapter, but I've also seen it happen with 1.25 fairing bases and cargo bays. (My Moho mission was a combination of these three all attached to each other x_x)

I shouldn't have to resort to changing the game's physics or using the cheat menu in order to play the game properly, I hope this gets fixed in 1.1.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.