Kerbal's Log

I just had an idea while responding to the Kerbal animations suggestion thread.

Jebediah Kerman's Log: Y17 D9, MET 1 Year and 2 days.

Our ship has just reached the orbit of Dres after quite some time. I can't say I'm impressed. It looks kind of dull. No moons. No color. No air. Anyway I'm writing this log today because I feel that logs should be available to all crewmembers in all universes after Hyperyear 1.1. A log is a very useful too for building up characters during long voyages. It can be used to describe one's thoughts about a situation. It may not have any science value and the public may not care too much for books (although if they did the space program may get a small cash bonus!), but taking pictures and writing words next to them can help to remember an important experience.

So yeah. Jeb Kerman said it best. These would function similarly to flag plaques, where you get to write a message in the flag, except it is in log format and you can add screenshots to it. Logs could be output as a text file, or read in-game, or even just used solely for the sake of adding a small bit of immersion. They could even be used for taking important notes, all without breaking immersion by using notepad or word. I'm not saying everyone should use it or that it should be a big feature, but I can see some people finding it useful.

Bob Kerman's Log Y17 D11 MET 1 Year and 4 days.

Note to self: Nuclear engines explode when you crash them into mountains at orbital velocity.

Max safe altitude of Dres: > 3 km.

Additionally, Jeb ate the snacks, so we will have to take the fuel lander and try to refine some snacks out of the Dresilian Regolith.

Bob Kerman's Log, supplemental.

Stranded on Dres. Dres is bigger than Minmus. Should have taken Mun lander.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.