T-Prize - Single Stage Landing to Tylo Orbit (SSLTO) Challenge: 1.0.4

Entry is on the way guys!

Make sure you reread the rules, I changed the scoring system this morning.

- - - Updated - - -

Thought I'd have a go at flying a ship with much closer margins.

This is a 15.285t effort that got down from a 25km orbit and then back to an 80km orbit with just 85m/s dV to spare.

http://i.imgur.com/U4AvvKg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UT2FrYd.png

http://i.imgur.com/ENAdge3.png

(Very fortunately Wilgela emerged from the experimental hyperdrive jump this time with her number of toes back to normal! However, the transit was not completely without some extremity adjustment and she would like to be known as Keith Kerman from now on).

Wow again, I was thinking you had nailed the most efficient design before! I would record this on the leaderboard but it's now outside the rules. Great effort though!

I have an LV-N powered design at around 10 tons which should be able to make it (mechjeb did very little with it on a first attempt and wrecked at nearly orbital speed, I had a similar one in a previous patch and I do not think Tylo has changed much.) I could pilot that manually during a few attempts at a slow descent, but there may be a better option for scoring when looking at the rules.

I think I can do better on score packing as many kerbals as possible into a lander under the reference design weight, but the question is how it works if I go over. Is it simply a negative at the same rate as the bonus, no penalty at all but also no bonus, or entirely prohibited to go over the reference weight?

Edit: I am wondering if I should go for lowest weight, or build a bus.

Edited by cerberusti

I have an LV-N powered design at around 10 tons which should be able to make it (mechjeb did very little with it on a first attempt and wrecked at nearly orbital speed, I had a similar one in a previous patch and I do not think Tylo has changed much.) I could pilot that manually during a few attempts at a slow descent, but there may be a better option for scoring when looking at the rules.

I think I can do better on score packing as many kerbals as possible into a lander under the reference design weight, but the question is how it works if I go over. Is it simply a negative at the same rate as the bonus, no penalty at all but also no bonus, or entirely prohibited to go over the reference weight?

Edit: I am wondering if I should go for lowest weight, or build a bus.

I found Mechjeb and maybe manual you need a TWR over 1.0 to land succesfully or you lithobrake. I think I will institute a negative score at same rate for weight over the reference design, as it seems quite generous.

I think I will institute a negative score at same rate for weight over the reference design, as it seems quite generous.
Oh, please don't change the rules again. I was just making another craft that was fairly large. I'll have to give up if you change the rules too often.

IT IS COMPLETE! No autopilot! 86.614 tons full! Only mods are Charterer, Engineer, and Hyperedit!

http://imgur.com/a/CEz9v

Very unoriginal name this has! I call it the TSSTLO (Tylo single stage to orbit and landing) Craft file will come later tonight or tomorrow.

Kaboom, I love this entry, I have decided to award 20 points for Jebediah mode (no autopilot). I know how hard it is. Your score 38 points.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, please don't change the rules again. I was just making another craft that was fairly large. I'll have to give up if you change the rules too often.

OK your right I should encourage the ludicrous, I am keeping Jebediah mode though.

Edited by selfish_meme

The rules as they are really encourage maximizing the number of people you land on Tylo. Maybe also have a category for lowest mass to successfully land from and reach 80x80 orbit without staging ranked by either weight or cost?

The rules as they are really encourage maximizing the number of people you land on Tylo. Maybe also have a category for lowest mass to successfully land from and reach 80x80 orbit without staging ranked by either weight or cost?

I think it may be Ok, yes you may try to spam Kerbals but the engineering is gonna be impressive.

I am definately finished with changes and will update the leaderboard when I get back to my comp, too hard from my phone.

Edit: OK I tweaked the reward for Jedediah mode, last thing I swear.

Edited by selfish_meme

I'd like to enter TYLONOL - TYLO Non-staging Orbit Lander

4 Kerbals @ 97.864 ton with MechJeb landing and ascent.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Probably you could easily scale it up by 'just duct taping two (three, ...) of them together' - maybe tons per Kerbal is a good 'efficiency' measure? (or tons per score point?) Not suggesting / encouraging you to 'change the rules' but adding an 'efficiency' rank might be interesting.

I'd like to enter TYLONOL - TYLO Non-staging Orbit Lander

4 Kerbals @ 97.864 ton with MechJeb landing and ascent.

http://imgur.com/a/bUIMx

Probably you could easily scale it up by 'just duct taping two (three, ...) of them together' - maybe tons per Kerbal is a good 'efficiency' measure? (or tons per score point?) Not suggesting / encouraging you to 'change the rules' but adding an 'efficiency' rank might be interesting.

Well I keep getting surprised, excellent entry. So I make it 75 points, we have a new chaammmmppppiiiiioooooooooon. Try to imagine there is some echo on that last word.

I give you The Beer Moth...

Weighs in at 266t - so no points for weight. But is does carry 32 Kerbals, meaning a rather large score of 32*20=640.

http://imgur.com/a/ta2ue

Did you actually disembark all the crew? It is in the rules though logically I know if you can get one out you can get them all out.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes.. The scoring system might need a cap on nr of kerbals..

I mean there is nothing stopping making a craft twice as big and getting twice as many points..

How about a kerbal per ton points system as someone else suggested.

Edited by selfish_meme

Did you actually disembark all the crew? It is in the rules though logically I know if you can get one out you can get them all out.
Ah, no. Just did the one but as you say it would have been just a repeat to disembark them all.

- - - Updated - - -

How about a kerbal per ton points system as someone else suggested.

I think you probably need at least two boards. One for most crew and one for lightest craft.

- - - Updated - - -

One last go from me for big ships - after this its just a matter of piling on moar Passenger Modules, moar engines and moar fuel.

The Flat Fluck ​carries 80 crew in no comfort whatsoever...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

OK, have added everyone to the scoreboard. The ludicrousness was excellent, I liked that, but in the interest of making it more about good efficient design I have had to redo the points system again! :huh:;) (it seems inventiveness knows no bounds). Hopefully this will steer people towards more rounded craft. I'm really sorry if you feel that this has affected you negatively, I hope you can get with the spirit of good competition and view it as a better challenge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.