Space Shuttle Help

I'm trying to design my own space shuttle, an endeavor that is quite frustrating right now. It seems that even the slightest breeze will cause the thing to fall to pieces, and it can't seem to maneuver at all in the atmosphere. I can probably get the thing to orbit pretty easily using my heavy lifter, but if I can't land the damn thing, what's the point? I'm at a loss as to how others have managed to produce a working shuttle using these parts. I've attached my latest conceptual design in hopes that somebody can help me understand where I'm going so wrong.

Space Shuttle Concept

Ooo... I'd love to help you out, but I don't do mediafire.

Could you post it using wikisend? Maybe post a few pics?

I'm tweaking my own stock shuttle tonight, so this would be a good time to help with yours.

Best,

-Slashy

- - - Updated - - -

http://wikisend.com/download/313262/Shuttle Kourageous.craft

This is the download for my shuttle as it sits right now. It does everything fine... up 'til touchdown. I'm trying to tweak out the descent rate on final approach.

Other than that, it does everything it's supposed to do. You can even launch it into orbit without RCS engaged if you're careful.

Action group 1 toggles lights, doors, and radiators. Action group 2 toggles the solar panels.

Other than that, it's all staging.

* SME ignition

* SRB ignition

* Launch clamp release

* SRB Jettison

* Tank jettison and OMS engage

Kourageous3_zps2y0ogul9.jpg

Caution: Don't try to land it without deploying the cargo!

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Here is the shuttle itself:

Space Shuttle Concept 7.craft

And here's the launcher stack I'm using to go to space:

Space Shuttle Stack NEW.craft

The launcher is pretty overpowered, but it gets the shuttle into space easily. The main booster is meant to be recovered, which I was able to do without issue. The problem again is landing the shuttle itself. It has difficulty landing on the runway it seems, and any maneuvers in the atmosphere causes it to decide that it doesn't like being in one piece any longer. I haven't messed around with any screenshots yet, but it's pretty standard stuff, which makes its refusal to work all the more perplexing.

mknote,

I just checked out the shuttle itself. I disabled the inboard elevons, the rudder, and the engine gimbaling. It flies much nicer that way.

Try that and see how it goes.

*edit* It's too nose- heavy also. The thrust of the engines help raise the nose, but it drops as soon as the power's off. Wings need to come forward a bit.

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Well, I added some wing strakes and it flies more stably now. Disabling the control surfaces is not advisable though. I've also removed the RAPIERS to better simulate the actual space shuttle. Dunno if it lands from space well yet, but I got it to land at a reasonable speed and it's a lot more controllable, so I think I'm good. Thanks for the help!

I'm also flying a shuttle called Endurance now, it's an in-between of a Space Shuttle and a Buran. Launching it is like flying a cow-it wants to always turn itself in some odd direction, probably because of the huge tail fin. But descending it is like a dream. The center of lift and center of mass are pretty far apart, the thing is pretty stable because of that.But Big-S control surfaces, a powerful reaction wheel and RCS thrusters are enough to compensate for that. Due to its stability I can do a real shuttle style descent where I keep myself long in the upper atmosphere and decelerate from 2100m/s to 500m/s. After that I glide the Endurance down to KSC with a max speed of about 200m/s, but a drag chute is enough to slow it down to a save landing. I don't understand why your shuttle "breaks up". Is it because of heat or are you playing with FAR? Or does a spontaneous unplanned lithobrake happen? Really, drag/drogue chutes are your friends.

Sadly I only have a phoenix shot of my shuttle.

7ThJdU5.png?1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.