Base-In-A-Box. Expandable modular surface base!

Rune

Figuring out how to assemble this slowly... I am failing to get some ports to dock in order to build the base. The large ports in particular aren't working. Any tips/tricks? I'm trying to assemble on the mun.

Edit: on the hab modules I can't get the rover to dock at all right now. It just wobbles around and doesn't attach.

Edit2: The rover issue was a bad state on it's docking port. Still can't get some sr ports to connect though. They don't even appear to have states in the file like normal ports do?

Hey there! Sorry I wasn't able to answer sooner. I recommend you read through this thread, CrashTestDanny just recently went through pretty much the same pains to put this together, and you might have run into similar problems. Don't worry, it's not as hard as it looks!

But, some of those issues you report seems like docking bugs. I feel you there, mate, because those are a pain to deal with. I encourage you to go to this thread, where I learned how to handle them. It's tedious, but it teaches you a lot about fiddling with savefiles.

However, I think at least the thing with the rover is because you haven't yet grasped it's full potential: there's no way I could have perfectly aligned all docks for all the surface gravities in the kerbol system, so I didn't: instead I just got close, and made an awesome rover that can fly. I have docked it upside down to upturned modules, even! If it is stuck wobbling under a port, just activate the RCS system and work it, and if that is not enough, well, hit the monoprop rockets: you should be able to lift a whole module that way in Mun! Also, briefly turning langin gear on/off can take care of some alignment issues when you dock modules together.

Other than that, fiddle with it. It is very difficult to give you guys a full rundown of all the stuff you can do with this, but trust me: one you start coming into problems, a bit of head-scratching and experimenting (after appropriately F5-ing before!) will often get you out of the jam.

Rune. I hope you show us soon a successfully assembled base! :)

I "seem" to be getting perfect alignment many times, but it just doesn't connect! I've used the rockets, brakes, torque wheels, etc (love the rockets!). I think I tried getting that fuel dump aligned a dozen times! I'll start fresh tonight maybe. It's only the large ports, their mag is very weak imo! The mag doesn't seem to do anything unless I apply the wheel brakes first also... which seems odd.

I looked at that thread previously Rune, but it seems to apply mostly to regular ports not sr. The large ports don't have a state variable for instance.

S

I "seem" to be getting perfect alignment many times, but it just doesn't connect! I've used the rockets, brakes, torque wheels, etc (love the rockets!). I think I tried getting that fuel dump aligned a dozen times! I'll start fresh tonight maybe. It's only the large ports, their mag is very weak imo! The mag doesn't seem to do anything unless I apply the wheel brakes first also... which seems odd.

I looked at that thread previously Rune, but it seems to apply mostly to regular ports not sr. The large ports don't have a state variable for instance.

If the issue are the Sr. Docks, then it's not so bad. Most likely, the rover's suspension is giving a bit too much and you are low. Double check that you are aligned with the camera facing straight down, and then let it rest aas close as possible, then drop the landing gear, that jould take carebofbthe vertical sag. You can also lock the suspensions and such...

Rune. Good luck! Sometimes it's kind of an art.

Allright, got the first launches of the base together! I added a hitchhiker and corridors to fill a contract:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

A couple of thoughts:

-The rover could possibly use a toggle on/off key for torque.

-I really liked the CRADLE!

-Always F5 before attempting things, I had some kraken encounters! One time my entire base started levitating upwards... and it kept going!!!

-The panels won't work well at midday if you're near the equator

Thanks for all the hard work on this project Rune, and for your assistance!

Allright, got the first launches of the base together! I added a hitchhiker and corridors to fill a contract:

http://imgur.com/a/56YkQ

A couple of thoughts:

-The rover could possibly use a toggle on/off key for torque.

-I really liked the CRADLE!

-Always F5 before attempting things, I had some kraken encounters! One time my entire base started levitating upwards... and it kept going!!!

-The panels won't work well at midday if you're near the equator

Thanks for all the hard work on this project Rune, and for your assistance!

Glad it finally worked out for you! Docking bugs are the worst. As to your points:

-Yup, that action group would be useful. And another to switch on and off wheel engines in order to get forward and backward "gears" thatdon't tip you over when you accelerate. And maybe anoter for brakes, while you are at it. But I don't think I can set them up without tweakable everything... Lots of right-cliking in the meantime.

-Glad you do! I totally stole the idea from Cupcake. :P

-Yup, F5 is your friend. And name a couple differently, just in case you F5 when you mean to F9...

-Yup, the panels are put to make beter use of low sun angles. But the whole base can be powered with the fuel cells of te mining module... Ever since resources came in, the panles became the secondary power system.

Rune. Also, nice to see you went with a weird configuration, and you are using it to fulfill contracts. :)

• 3 weeks later...
So I sent some boxes to the Mun and built my first base. Learned a great deal. Wouldnt be afraid to build this elsewhere now. Thanks for a great set of ships.

You are welcome! It's nice to see that people still use this, and are not put off by the complexity of the build.

Rune. Screenies are always welcome, BTW... ;)

We need life support in stock to go with this type of stuff. I haven't built any bases yet because of it. Are they going to add lifesupport that anyone knows of. This would be nice then. Both ground and space versions! 8)

You are welcome! It's nice to see that people still use this, and are not put off by the complexity of the build.

Rune. Screenies are always welcome, BTW... ;)

I dont have anywhere I can put the images. I guess I need to break down and get an imgur account or whatever. Dont have a youtube account either. I guess I need to get with the modern world but facebook has put me off of joining this and that. lol :) I will see what I can do about that.

Holy boop, all of these comments slipped by me.

[quote name='Arugela']We need life support in stock to go with this type of stuff. I haven't built any bases yet because of it. Are they going to add lifesupport that anyone knows of. This would be nice then. Both ground and space versions! 8)[/QUOTE]

Roverdude's LF is what I use. Simple, and it does the trick, not to mention since he is in the dev team his mods update like, the second the new version hits.

[quote name='Kevin Kyle']I dont have anywhere I can put the images. I guess I need to break down and get an imgur account or whatever. Dont have a youtube account either. I guess I need to get with the modern world but facebook has put me off of joining this and that. lol :) I will see what I can do about that.[/QUOTE]
Well, Imgur is dirt simple and free, so that's what I use. Pretty intuitive too, and it displays the pics quite nicely. Then again, there must be better free sites out there. In this day and age, people must be ready to create about a gazillion use-and-throw accounts... just use the email you reserve for spam. ;)

[quote name='Locutus4884']Wow this is awesome! I need to set up bases on the Mün and Minmus to fulfill contracts.

I have tried a couple of times, but I cannot seem to get the boxes to the Mün with the DeltaV provided. I must really screw up the launches![/QUOTE]

Hum. Have you tried finishing the burn with the CRADLEs themselves? Or are you using the Base-In-A-Shroud option? I do launch into a tight parking orbit (~70.5kms circular, usually) and fiddle with the node to do an efficient-ish transfer to Mun, but you should at the very least be able to park into a munar orbit where you can refuel. I do know I set up my latest Munar base (the one on these pics) using the shroud option, a Trident, and fuel depots in both munar and kerbin orbit to refuel the Trident... Which reminds me I've got to post the update to the Trident. Damn the new Mk1 cabin!

Tell you what, if you actually read this and are still having issues, I can upload and post some new CRADLE files that I've got with extra-large upper stages, and that should give you a very ample margin (basically the rocket used for the Base-In-A-Shroud, with twice the fuel and engines on the upper stage). Or you know, if someone else wants them... it's a rather simple change, though.

Rune. Better late than never? :blush:

[quote name='Rune']
Hum. Have you tried finishing the burn with the CRADLEs themselves? Or are you using the Base-In-A-Shroud option? I do launch into a tight parking orbit (~70.5kms circular, usually) and fiddle with the node to do an efficient-ish transfer to Mun, but you should at the very least be able to park into a munar orbit where you can refuel. I do know I set up my latest Munar base (the one on these pics) using the shroud option, a Trident, and fuel depots in both munar and kerbin orbit to refuel the Trident... Which reminds me I've got to post the update to the Trident. Damn the new Mk1 cabin!

Tell you what, if you actually read this and are still having issues, I can upload and post some new CRADLE files that I've got with extra-large upper stages, and that should give you a very ample margin (basically the rocket used for the Base-In-A-Shroud, with twice the fuel and engines on the upper stage). Or you know, if someone else wants them... it's a rather simple change, though.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your (late ;)) reply. I actually managed to adapt the booster stages to give me more than enough deltaV (8 SRB's, another fuel tanks, etc.)
I know I should be able to make it with your rockets, but I'm lazy and not the most efficient :D

I managed both the Munar and Minmus bases, although for Minmus I adapted some of the modules to include RCS thrusters, because they were too unstable in the low gravity. One of the fuel tanks flipped on its side when I deployed the landing struts and I managed to get it upright again with RCS (the torque wheel didn't help at all).

Nevertheless it's a great method to deploy a base. I have a lot of fun!

I made a refueling ship with a docking port sr on it to top off the cradles at Munar orbit. Only 2 really needed the fuel, one has enough fuel in the container inside the cradle to make it on its own. I did add a couple of the large SRB's and I took a couple things off. I removed the chutes and the sepratrons and air brakes which honestly probably made little difference in fuel requirements. No Imgur yet so no images yet. :) I will get that done and post a couple of pics. The refuel ship fit very well with this. Sweet, simple, effective and fit well with the other ships.

I forgot to mention that I had enough fuel left to launch the containers into a nice little suborbital which tided up the base area and left me with some cool explosions to entertain myself with. :) I also put mst of the remaining fuel from that one container ship back into the fuel container before undocking it and sending it on its way as well. Edited by Kevin Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I had a 3 star contract to build a Mun base, it required

• Support 10 Kerbals
  • Have a Mobile Processing Lab
  • Have a Cupola
  • Have a Convert-o-tron 250
  • Have 7500 units of Liquid Fuel
  • Have 6000 units of Ore
  • Have 12500 units of Electricity

I started off just fulfilling the contract but then i had so much fun building it this is what I came up with! It is a mix of your base in a box, and a few of Temstar's corridors, and a couple of modules of my own. I dont have screenshots of all the build, but these were the launches.

1. Base-in-Several Boxes B2 - Converter & Small Ore Tank
  2. Base-in-Several Boxes B3 - Small Fuel Tank 1, Rover 1, 3 x corridor
  3. Base-in-Several Boxes B1 - Hub, Lab & Hitchhiker
  4. 6 Man Lander - Crew Transfer
  5. Base-in-Several Boxes - Engineering Cupola, Large Ore Tank
  6. Base-in-Several Boxes B3 - Small Fuel Tank 1, Rover 1, 3 x corridor
  7. Custom Lander - E-Truss, I-Truss, Long X-Truss, Fuel Truss
  8. Base-in-Several Boxes - 2 x Solar Towers
  9. Custom Lander - Large Fuel Tank (mostly empty)
  10. Custom Lander - Docking Tower
  11. Rescue Shuttle - Last 4 Crew members

This was great fun, and I couldn't have done it without your base pack, Thank you so much for designing this! Now to reduce it down a bit from it's lag inducing 358 parts...

Kit

On 20/11/2015 17:50:57, Kevin Kyle said:

I made a refueling ship with a docking port sr on it to top off the cradles at Munar orbit. Only 2 really needed the fuel, one has enough fuel in the container inside the cradle to make it on its own. I did add a couple of the large SRB's and I took a couple things off. I removed the chutes and the sepratrons and air brakes which honestly probably made little difference in fuel requirements. No Imgur yet so no images yet. :) I will get that done and post a couple of pics. The refuel ship fit very well with this. Sweet, simple, effective and fit well with the other ships.

I forgot to mention that I had enough fuel left to launch the containers into a nice little suborbital which tided up the base area and left me with some cool explosions to entertain myself with. :) I also put mst of the remaining fuel from that one container ship back into the fuel container before undocking it and sending it on its way as well.

I hope all goes well!

3 hours ago, Paranoid Shark said:

Hey,

I had a 3 star contract to build a Mun base, it required

• Support 10 Kerbals
  • Have a Mobile Processing Lab
  • Have a Cupola
  • Have a Convert-o-tron 250
  • Have 7500 units of Liquid Fuel
  • Have 6000 units of Ore
  • Have 12500 units of Electricity

I started off just fulfilling the contract but then i had so much fun building it this is what I came up with! It is a mix of your base in a box, and a few of Temstar's corridors, and a couple of modules of my own. I dont have screenshots of all the build, but these were the launches.

1. Base-in-Several Boxes B2 - Converter & Small Ore Tank
  2. Base-in-Several Boxes B3 - Small Fuel Tank 1, Rover 1, 3 x corridor
  3. Base-in-Several Boxes B1 - Hub, Lab & Hitchhiker
  4. 6 Man Lander - Crew Transfer
  5. Base-in-Several Boxes - Engineering Cupola, Large Ore Tank
  6. Base-in-Several Boxes B3 - Small Fuel Tank 1, Rover 1, 3 x corridor
  7. Custom Lander - E-Truss, I-Truss, Long X-Truss, Fuel Truss
  8. Base-in-Several Boxes - 2 x Solar Towers
  9. Custom Lander - Large Fuel Tank (mostly empty)
  10. Custom Lander - Docking Tower
  11. Rescue Shuttle - Last 4 Crew members

This was great fun, and I couldn't have done it without your base pack, Thank you so much for designing this! Now to reduce it down a bit from it's lag inducing 358 parts...

Kit

Wow, that is one awesome base. And customized and everything! I commend you on your industriousness, that can't have been easy.

Rune. Biggest base I've seen with my stuff since at least 0.90.

Edited by Rune

I seriously need to get with the program and post some pics. That is a very nice base. Mine isnt quite that big but similar. I put my base on the upper side of the big canyon (Mun)  a little ways from the edge in a crater there. It all went pretty well. I will be using this again when I get my new career save back to this point again.

28 minutes ago, Kevin Kyle said:

My first attempt at Imgur and posting images. Hopefully it all goes well. :) Heres my base and my refuel ship.

http://imgur.com/a/UHjVB

BTW, how do I get my album to display in the post?

Looking good! I see that you are already thinking about expansion, what with all the extra corridors and stuff. BTW, in order to post Imgur albums, you can use the [IMGUR] tags, or let the forum do the work for you. It's the button on the far right on the editor, and you have to input the last characters in the URL, in this case "UHjVB":

Rune. I do have some very slight revisions on the design, might be time for a tiny update...

Edited by Rune

Thanks for the info man :) Yes, I was thinking about the future and also the base contract required more fuel than the standard base has hence the double rovers, fuel and tubes. I didnt see any sense in just sending fuel or changing anything. Just launch one more as is. Sadly, I havent done anything with that save since 1.05 came out. No doubt, either way, I will use this again. I hope this still flies when we get the 1.1 build. It lends itself very well to just changing the payload for other uses and expansion. I will take advantage of that as well.

Rune, one question...

What is the best way to get resources, like fuel, to and from the Mün? I'm using stock KSP, so I won't be able to use KAS to transfer fuel to a lander.
I have a station in orbit of the Mün, but to use it as a refuelling station, I have to be able to refuel the station as well.

I hope you have any recommendations. Thanks!

PS I will post pics of my bases soon!

1 hour ago, Locutus4884 said:

Rune, one question...

What is the best way to get resources, like fuel, to and from the Mün? I'm using stock KSP, so I won't be able to use KAS to transfer fuel to a lander.
I have a station in orbit of the Mün, but to use it as a refuelling station, I have to be able to refuel the station as well.

I hope you have any recommendations. Thanks!

PS I will post pics of my bases soon!

Well, I don't know if it's the most efficient one, but this is the way I do it:

o7vGPTr.png

That's one of my standard ore tanks, tweaked so it is the same size as a X200-32 capped with senior ports, which is actually my gold standard and what the base modules are built to comply with. One of those fits snugly in the bay of a Trident (some tricky docking is involved, but with skill and the alignment indicator I have become quite good at that), so I just use one of those as a tanker, dock it to the base with the Klaw they have on the back, and refill it prior to each takeoff loaded with ore. Turns out the Trident is almost ideally sized to take the full ~30mT of fuel to a 100km circular munar orbit, then come back down empty, with some margin. I do have to further refine it on orbit, but that allows me to think what kind of fuel mix I want on the spot, without having to waste a lot of oxidizer space. Plus, pretty much all my bases have a Trident already assigned to them, even if they were built with CRADLEs, to bring down any special modules I might need (I.E: KIS and Life Support are the usual ones).

867ODSM.png

It also gives  you a ton of great opportunities to grab awesome screenies, BTW... Pay no mind that those are from an older model that doesn't actually have the Klaw on the tail, Arch Station is often saddled with prototypes that end up slightly different than the production models... you should have no trouble land-docking yours just driving them backwards with RCS.

jrGzP0l.png

And from the orbiting fuel depot the fuel would be further distributed if need be. But to actually refuel stuff in LKO, close to home, I usually just use a SSTO flight carrying ore, much more convenient and almost as cheap as mining it, since you recover the bird and the ore is so cheap. Still, I'm moving a couple of humongous E-classes to build a KSO depot, so I can understand doing things just for the sake of doing them... :)

Rune. Hope whichever way you go about it goes well!

Edited by Rune

Thanks for the info. I will give the Trident a go!

Another question. On my base I have a mining module, with the 2 fuel cells. When I active them, they give the error "Missing liquid fuel", while crossfeed is enabled (by default) and they're next to a fuel tank....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.