WW2 BAD-T - World War 2 BDArmory AI Dogfight Tournament [FINISHED]

This looks like a really cool thing to participate in! I might build my own fighter. When will this challenge end?

To my knowledge, tetryds is finishing up on the 'first wave', and as such entries from now on will have to wait until the next wave of battles - which will likely come, time allowing, when FAR and the weapons mod pack updates come.

Edited by Littlerift

@Veeltch: exactly what Littlerift said.

Also, right now the AI is very bad at aiming, if I updated all the battles would end due to running out of fuel.

Are you using legacy targeting? From what I've gathered the AI in BD used to cheat to some degree when using guns; the bullets would lock onto a target if the nose of the aircraft was within a degree or so of the other vehicle. The new BDA doesn't do this - hence why gun battles are a complete waste of time. It's something I really dislike about the new BD armoury actually, because missile fights have always been dull.

Are you using legacy targeting? From what I've gathered the AI in BD used to cheat to some degree when using guns; the bullets would lock onto a target if the nose of the aircraft was within a degree or so of the other vehicle. The new BDA doesn't do this - hence why gun battles are a complete waste of time. It's something I really dislike about the new BD armoury actually, because missile fights have always been dull.

Yes, but i have found that the AI cannot shoot a target flying straight and level, as it aims for a point about 2m above.

I am using the old BDArmory where weapons unlock themselves a few degrees, the weapons are balanced to make it fair and from the battles it seems not bad at all :)

BahamutoD is aware of this and will probably enhance the AI when he works on it.

If that takes too long to happen I can just add that effect to the weapons myself so it will work like it did on 0.8

Yes, but i have found that the AI cannot shoot a target flying straight and level, as it aims for a point about 2m above.

I haven't noticed this problem particularly. Occasionally the AI will do this, but with the current arrangement on my jet it tends to hit the target if it gets a 1k gap open while facing them. I assume the AI simple overcompensates for turning and speed, as I have noticed that when a slow jet fights a fast jet the slow jet will almost always shoot in front of the faster one. You're probably right, but I think the main issue is that with the new BDA is that guns are a complete waste of time.

Has anybody actually been building any jets? So far I've found them to be really enjoyable due to the way you have to solve the lack of power issue, but flicking through the thread it doesn't look like anybody has posted any.

Edit: Also, tetryds, how did you get the speedometer to display in km/h? I know it used to be possible in FAR to change it, but I can't find the setting.

Edited by Littlerift

@Littlerift: it's speed settings under flight settings.

I have made some jets to check how they perform and got very satisfied.

But yeah you need some fancy tweaking to the AI to fly it well.

HGktzQjh.jpg

Edited by tetryds

Has anybody actually been building any jets? So far I've found them to be really enjoyable due to the way you have to solve the lack of power issue, but flicking through the thread it doesn't look like anybody has posted any.

Edit: Also, tetryds, how did you get the speedometer to display in km/h? I know it used to be possible in FAR to change it, but I can't find the setting.

Actaully once i got used to the way the required engines, well, don't use fuel, i have a half decent jet. Of course me being me the air-frames made from stock parts ;)

Did some experimentation with jets today. Got some acceptable prototypes up, but it's hard going optimizing their performance for the AI (It's not a question of if, it's a question of WHEN the AI is going to bleed away all its speed, and I need the thing to still be able to turn). Might actually forgo swept wings entirely for the next couple of prototypes, question is whether the slats should go too. On one hand, they do help a bunch when the jet is slow, but they also make it go slow faster.

Prototypes 1 & 2, will probably scrap both and use them for target practice as none of them have the performance I need, despite both being 15G and mach .8-9 capable (AI never gets it up to those speeds anyway).

62ADDA6894A6D80D440D532808C71E1F59DE7981

F8EB15F24111191C4B4D162E8B573D8D693E55E4

@Littlerift: it's speed settings under flight settings.

I have made some jets to check how they perform and got very satisfied.

But yeah you need some fancy tweaking to the AI to fly it well.

http://i.imgur.com/HGktzQjh.jpg

:o Why did I never click that button?! I assumed it just opened the Flight Data panel. Thank you!

I like the jet, by the way. It looks very authentic and very functional. I've found that the AI is fairly easy to set up; the issue was more the control surfaces. However, I have noticed that with jets the AI seems to want to climb to infinity more often that with the props, although it could simply be that the jets tend to actually have a lower TWR than the props do. :P I mean, one of my prop designs has a higher TWR than the SU-27...

Did some experimentation with jets today. Got some acceptable prototypes up, but it's hard going optimizing their performance for the AI (It's not a question of if, it's a question of WHEN the AI is going to bleed away all its speed, and I need the thing to still be able to turn). Might actually forgo swept wings entirely for the next couple of prototypes, question is whether the slats should go too. On one hand, they do help a bunch when the jet is slow, but they also make it go slow faster.

Prototypes 1 & 2, will probably scrap both and use them for target practice as none of them have the performance I need, despite both being 15G and mach .8-9 capable (AI never gets it up to those speeds anyway).

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/433823127632868379/62ADDA6894A6D80D440D532808C71E1F59DE7981/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/433823127632868129/F8EB15F24111191C4B4D162E8B573D8D693E55E4/

Yes, as I said the AI will sometimes just climb pointlessly and then get taken out while it stall-hangs. I've set the control surfaces on my design to quite a bit lower than the pilot could handle, just because if it turns at a high rate for too long it ended up dying due to the EM disadvantage. I think the jet competition takes a little more tactical thinking than at least the monoprop contest - I haven't tried a biplane yet.

I like the designs. They remind me of some of the whackier German WW2 concepts - ahead of their time and yet still very 1940s.

Here's my current baby, and the one I'll probably be entering, although I do want to try making a less conventional aircraft, possibly asymmetric, just to evoke a little more of that early-jet era optimism in design.

8Un2q65.png

Once we get the J-20 "Juno" engine im so making a 262 with it.

Ofc its name comes from most likely the Jumo 004 (someone mustve hit N inctead of M by mistake), and the J-20 is most likely a reference to teh Ne-20 (engine that was gonna power the japanese me262 copy, very similar to the BMW003 and Jumo004).

A 262 will so work well (and itll actually have somewhat reasonable proportions/scale now i hope).

The Me 262 is still, in my mind, the most beautiful aircraft ever built. It would be great to see one in this competition.

In other news, with an accompanying mixture of sadness and excitement a design which I had been working on for around an hour wipes the floor with my old design (which had taken a few days of tweaking) on its maiden flight... within 2 minutes...

ih8fkJ4.png

Lighter, more nimble, sturdier and more authentic looking for the period... I take back what I said about my earlier design being the one I'll enter.

kFYnn80.png

Not to mention the fact that it's 85% more adorable than my last design. Look at her cute little nose! (Yes, I know it's been tweakscaled, when I enter it I'll put a procedural one on, it's just that loading up procedural parts shrinks the engines for some bizarre reason.)

Edited by Littlerift

Not to mention the fact that it's 85% more adorable than my last design. Look at her cute little nose! (Yes, I know it's been tweakscaled, when I enter it I'll put a procedural one on, it's just that loading up procedural parts shrinks the engines, for some bizarre reason.)

Well maybe both are messing with the scale at the same time.

I would not recommend using tweakscale and AJE at the same save.

IIRC the small engine on AJE only shows if you use procedural parts, that may be it.

Well maybe both are messing with the scale at the same time.

I would not recommend using tweakscale and AJE at the same save.

IIRC the small engine on AJE only shows if you use procedural parts, that may be it.

I did a test without tweakscale and with procedural parts and it still makes the AJE J-85 smaller. That is, unless the engine is meant to be <0.625 in diameter anyway. Taking tweakscale off did give me another engine though. How confusing.

So here's the revised Rien-Nil M2...! Now with more 100% more turn n burn.

Sorry, submissions are closed for now, you will have to wait until everything updates at the same time.

That means you have more time to work on your craft :)

Edited by tetryds

Sorry, submissions are closed for now, you will have to wait until everything updates at the same time.

That means you have more time to work on your craft :)

D'oh... Have had it lying around for a few days just forgot. Daggnamit! Link removed... :D