WW2 BAD-T - World War 2 BDArmory AI Dogfight Tournament [FINISHED]

Would love to do something like that, but I'm not considered youth anymore nor am I australian, oh well :C

Next year i have to sign some forms because i turn 18, and then i only have 2 years left after that, as 20 is 'sorry we would like to keep you but we can't really, bye'.

Edited by TUKE

Here's a test version if anyone wants to try against it. You'll need B9-PWing and Take Command (the only way to get the Kerbak in that seat is launch from the SPH and him pop into it). It can shoot things down if you're prepared to wait long enough :)

Weighs 1.5t, has 1600 ammo and two guns and well over 20 mins of fuel.

viRc4C8.png

http://www./Blue_Schmoo.craft

Edited by Darren9

After I add a more sophisticated cockpit to the Attera, I should see what happens vs. The blue Schmoo. I tested the current, cockpit-deficient version vs. the Harlod [sIC], and it was like attacking a ground target. Not the slightest chance of the Harlod getting a shot lined up.

Edited by Pds314

After I add a more sophisticated cockpit to the Attera, I should see what happens vs. The blue Schmoo. I tested the current, cockpit-deficient version vs. the Harlod [sIC], and it was like attacking a ground target. Not the slightest chance of the Harlod getting a shot lined up.
Interesting, I had min 600m & default 1000m, with that I climbed above and yours never came up and I'd of won with more fuel. As soon as I put them at the same height even 1 of yours against 2 of mine and I'm tore to shreds :)

...the Harlod [sIC], ... was like attacking a ground target...

Did I really misspell that?! I'll just pretend it's Dutch, and I didn't switch two letters around, no offense to the Netherlanders. For both my planes, I was going for something that looked good, rather than going purely for performance. If they get shot down, which they most certainly will, they'll look good doing it.

Did I really misspell that?! I'll just pretend it's Dutch, and I didn't switch two letters around, no offense to the Netherlanders. For both my planes, I was going for something that looked good, rather than going purely for performance. If they get shot down, which they most certainly will, they'll look good doing it.

Indeed, yours looks much more biplane-y, and interwar-esque. It also did look good as the wing broke and it sailed into the ocean.

Turns out that filtering the best moments is REALLY HARD.

I am a bit lost here, can anyone find me a good copyright-free 30 minutes music that is not annoying? :P

I would put the raw video, but it doesn't even have the sound of the engines.

If not, I may be forced to post it only tomorrow, oh well such time constraints, they won't exist anymore after the end of this month, I promise.

Meanwhile I will put together the list of the applicants.

Edited by tetryds

Well, I guess I will go for NCS as I already know them and know which one will fit this better.

My bad for having to rush this but I know that you want to watch it real bad.

Forget the planes list I am posting this asap (ETA 1 hour).

Edit: rendering.

Edited by tetryds

Now I see why I lost, if the planes who have a min altitude below yours you get blown up because they can just get behind you and chop you up while you ascend, really this ~30° offset is not a neutral start at all :/

This means everyone who has a min alt with 150 will have the advantage.

Now I see why I lost, if the planes who have a min altitude below yours you get blown up because they can just get behind you and chop you up while you ascend, really this ~30° offset is not a neutral start at all :/

This means everyone who has a min alt with 150 will have the advantage.

This is false, don't assume I did not research and try out a lot of stuff before I came up with this setup.

You were abe to win two rounds exactly because of that, you were trying to climb to infinity, if you spawned far away they would have much more time to snipe you.

Like it is, they only had a small ammount of time before outclimbing you.

You made your design and strategy choices, and I put the planes on a way that does not give great advantage to any side.

If you are heavy and want to climb that high you take the risks.

But really I don't understand why you were trying to climb so much with those engines as you could never build up energy to fight at your optimal turn rate speed.

And even on the slightliest dive you would drain it all trying to climb again.

Your design is the strongest I have ever seen, all you need is to find the best strategy for what you have.

@worir4: no deadlines :)

Edited by tetryds

This is false, don't assume I did not research and try out a lot of stuff before I came up with this setup.

You were abe to win two rounds exactly because of that, you were trying to climb to infinity, if you spawned far away they would have much more time to snipe you.

You made your design and strategy choices, and I put the planes on a way that does not give great advantage to any side.

But really I don't understand why you were trying to climb so much with those engines as you could never build up energy to fight at your optimal turn rate speed.

Your design is the strongest I have ever seen, all you need is to find the best strategy for what you have.

Yes i agree with tetryds here, when i watched the footage, i saw you get consistently out climbed. When you won was when your planes were able to survive for long enough to turn fight.

I never said you didn't research it. Don't assume things youself please.

I have a very different experience from my tests. When they start from opposite sides the planes get further away and since the guard and AI go after enemies as soon as they reach min alt you have them going 2vs2 head on. I did this test with all publicly submitted planes and with their specific settings. There was never a time were any party was being chased when they weren't able to maneuver. The ones with min alt of 150 turn quicker to the fight and if fast enough start to fire at you while you ascend but it's not lika complete turkey-shoot.

For the other thing. When I submitted my plane I was not aware that the AI settings affect the behaviour in this way. Since I can't change it anymore ...

- - - Updated - - -

Yes i agree with tetryds here, when i watched the footage, i saw you get consistently out climbed. When you won was when your planes were able to survive for long enough to turn fight.

That happens when you derp and don't know what the AI settings do. In my tests I dont use this setting anymore.

@VentZer0: My bad, it's just that I put a lot of effort on finding a setup that allow any strategy to work, a lighter craft is always on disvantage on a heads-on, and a heavier craft is on disvantage if they go parlalel or alternate on an X shape.

If you only wish to change the AI settings I let you do that.

Please pm me with the fixed craft file, but please don't make changes to it other than the AI.

And remember your next enemies will not be the same.

Edit: this second chance for the crafts works both as a way to avoid a "trial and error" flood of submissions and to soften the luck factor.

Sometimes you lost for a specialized craft that is stronger against you but weaker agains everyone else.

Edit2: The next battle is today, if it takes less than 20 minutes and does not lose the audio I will upload it raw.

Edited by tetryds

@VentZer0: My bad, it's just that I put a lot of effort on finding a setup that allow any strategy to work, a lighter craft is always on disvantage on a heads-on, and a heavier craft is on disvantage if they go parlalel or alternate on an X shape.

If you only wish to change the AI settings I let you do that.

Please pm me with the fixed craft file, but please don't make changes to it other than the AI.

And remember your next enemies will not be the same.

Edit: this second chance for the crafts works both as a way to avoid a "trial and error" flood of submissions and to soften the luck factor.

Sometimes you lost for a specialized craft that is stronger against you but weaker agains everyone else.

Edit2: The next battle is today, if it takes less than 20 minutes and does not lose the audio I will upload it raw.

Cool, also for royalty free music i would recommend Kevin Macleod, as he make half the music for ksp anyways. I will include a link to a youtube channel that has most of his works on it and a download link in the description. The normal deal is just to say what music of his you used, it's what i do anyway. https://www.youtube.com/user/EricArchive

- - - Updated - - -

Also i found with the right design the D-25 works quite well.

Mine uses a gull wing with a relatively short span.

- - - Updated - - -

However my biplane is a bit sus. The name Sky Hopper is more based on it's flight characteristics. It doesn't help when the AI decides that a smart maneuver is to try and do a roll. Go figure.

- - - Updated - - -

Also i tried making a set of floats for the L-19 using structural intakes but they kept exploding, so i whipped up a set of floats that should work fine (They don't mirror though), but they seem to break FAR but only for the craft using them??? And the .cfg is pretty much the structural intakes one with some edited values and the air intake resources removed. I don't know how it works with normal ksp as i haven't been bothered, as i really wanted to see how the L-19 would fly with them.