KSP 1.0.4 Tarsier Space Tech mod, telescope not working

So, I got me the "Tarsier Space Technology" mod and got a contract saying I need to take a picture of the sun with a telescope. I assembled the orbital telescope with solar panels, batteries (3k electric charge), science HD and antenna (comm. 88-88). I deploy the camera, zoom in with the sun targeted and centered in the camera frame, click on "Take Picture" and nothing happens. Sometimes it just tells me "no science collected", but most of the time it just does nothing and the contract doesn't update and no "check results" appears in the telescope's right-click menu. It does, however, save the screenshot in the mod's folder if "save to file" is checked. KSP is updated to 1.0.4 (steam version), ModuleManager is up to date; I tried running the mod on a clean installation and the problem persists.

So, I got me the "Tarsier Space Technology" mod and got a contract saying I need to take a picture of the sun with a telescope. I assembled the orbital telescope with solar panels, batteries (3k electric charge), science HD and antenna (comm. 88-88). I deploy the camera, zoom in with the sun targeted and centered in the camera frame, click on "Take Picture" and nothing happens. Sometimes it just tells me "no science collected", but most of the time it just does nothing and the contract doesn't update and no "check results" appears in the telescope's right-click menu. It does, however, save the screenshot in the mod's folder if "save to file" is checked. KSP is updated to 1.0.4 (steam version), ModuleManager is up to date; I tried running the mod on a clean installation and the problem persists.

I am the mod author of TST continued... Thread is here.

Works fine for me (proof pics) below. Once you capture the science you have to return it to kerbin or transmit it to complete the contract.

E7Q5l82.png

HpkCd6f.png

So to get support:

1) What version of TST are you using? Are you using the latest version from the thread (link above)?

2) If you are, I will require log files, etc to diagnose your problem. You can follow these instructions on how to get modded support here.

I tried Downloading the latest version (5.4.1) from both KerbalStuff and Curse (tried CKAN too but it was outdated), each time deleting the previous version before installing it.

And here's the log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ig8621yn7hyyrvy/output_log.txt?dl=0

Ok, here is the error causing your problem:

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,ScienceExperiment].Add (System.String key, .ScienceExperiment value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ResearchAndDevelopment.loadExperiments () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ResearchAndDevelopment.GetExperimentIDs () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at TarsierSpaceTech.TSTSpaceTelescope.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
(Filename: Line: -1)

This is complaining about trying to add TWO science definitions with the same ID.

This is caused by having TWO science definitions files in your gamedata directory.

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/2014

You need to go through your gamedata folder and ensure you only have ONE ScienceDefs.cfg file in \GameData\TarsierSpaceTechnology\Resources\ScienceDefs.cfg

If you open this file with a text editor you will see:-

EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
{
id = TarsierSpaceTech.SpaceTelescope

at the top. Somewhere in your gamedata you have another copy of this file with the same id = TarsierSpaceTech.SpaceTelescope

Remove all other copies except for the one in the folder I mentioned above and you should be right to go.

I'd also be checking you have only one version of TST installed in gamedata.

Let me know how you go.

Edited by JPLRepo

Okay, I checked my Gamedata folder and found 4 files called Science Defs.cfg in 4 different directories: \Squad\Resources, \NASAmissions\Resources, \Asteroid Day and \Tarsier Space Technology\Resources. Only the latter contained the line

id = TarsierSpaceTech.SpaceTelescope

I have only one version of TST installed in the Gamedata folder and it gives me the same issue with only \Squad and \Tarsier Space Technology in \Gamedata.

At this point I'm even more confused about what it may cause the conflict.

UPDATE: I once again tried the mod as a fresh install, this time uninstalling and redownloading the whole KSP game and TST worked on my old save. As soon as I copied the other mods back into \Gamedata though, it stopped working again. I'll take my time tonight to install mods one by one and find out what conflicts with TST.

UPDATE: I once again tried the mod as a fresh install, this time uninstalling and redownloading the whole KSP game and TST worked on my old save. As soon as I copied the other mods back into \Gamedata though, it stopped working again. I'll take my time tonight to install mods one by one and find out what conflicts with TST.

That's strange. Look for ones that have science/contracts first. Once you find the conflict let me know. This error though indicates somewhere you have a duplicate of the science definitions file.

Also, once you have the conflict if you can go into \GameData\TarsierSpaceTech\Config.cfg and change the last parameter from 'debugging = False' to 'debugging = True'. Save that and restart KSP. Then send me the log again with debugging = True. this will write more debug messages to the log file to help identify issues.

YET-ANOTHER-UPDATE: I managed to locate where the problem is. The folder \NASAmission caused the program to glitch, since I found out it was an official mission pack released with KSP V0.23.5 and later integrated into the base game resources and thus outdated and incompatible with V1.0.4 and its mods (I still had it around and never got rid of it). Just for completeness sake, here's what the ScienceDefs.cfg looks like:

// situation bits:
// SrfLanded = 1,
// SrfSplashed = 2,
// FlyingLow = 4,
// FlyingHigh = 8,
// InSpaceLow = 16,
// InSpaceHigh = 32

EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
{
id = asteroidSample
title = Sample
baseValue = 60
scienceCap = 70
dataScale = 1

requireAtmosphere = False
situationMask = 63
biomeMask = 7

RESULTS
{
default = You collect a sample of the asteroid.

KerbinInSpaceHigh = You collect a sample while the asteroid is high over Kerbin.
KerbinInSpaceLow = You collect a sample as the asteroid orbits close to Kerbin.
KerbinFlying = You collect a sample of the asteroid inside Kerbin's atmosphere.
}
}

Thanks for the support and sorry to have bothered for such a silly problem.

YET-ANOTHER-UPDATE: I managed to locate where the problem is. The folder \NASAmission caused the program to glitch, since I found out it was an official mission pack released with KSP V0.23.5 and later integrated into the base game resources and thus outdated and incompatible with V1.0.4 and its mods (I still had it around and never got rid of it). Just for completeness sake, here's what the ScienceDefs.cfg looks like:

// situation bits:
// SrfLanded = 1,
// SrfSplashed = 2,
// FlyingLow = 4,
// FlyingHigh = 8,
// InSpaceLow = 16,
// InSpaceHigh = 32

EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
{
id = asteroidSample
title = Sample
baseValue = 60
scienceCap = 70
dataScale = 1

requireAtmosphere = False
situationMask = 63
biomeMask = 7

RESULTS
{
default = You collect a sample of the asteroid.

KerbinInSpaceHigh = You collect a sample while the asteroid is high over Kerbin.
KerbinInSpaceLow = You collect a sample as the asteroid orbits close to Kerbin.
KerbinFlying = You collect a sample of the asteroid inside Kerbin's atmosphere.
}
}

Thanks for the support and sorry to have bothered for such a silly problem.

No Probs.

Glad you found your problem.

Curious why it decided then to pick on TST because the id is nothing like the TST ones for the science experiment definitions.

Thanks, I'll investigate if there is something that I can do to make TST more robust to this issue or not when I have some more time.

• 4 months later...

Hello! I have same problem.

On 30.07.2015, 23:44:58, BaconBilly said:

I deploy the camera, zoom in with the sun targeted and centered in the camera frame, click on "Take Picture" and nothing happens. Sometimes it just tells me "no science collected", but most of the time it just does nothing and the contract doesn't update and no "check results" appears in the telescope's right-click menu. It does, however, save the screenshot in the mod's folder if "save to file" is checked.

I`m using KSP 1.0.5 and TST 5.6

Here is my Log File. Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.