New Kerbal Applicants

How do I increase the number of Applicants? I have 2 scientists on long-term missions on the Mun and Minmus, and all I have left are pilots and engineers so some more Scientist applicants would be good right now.

Edited by JMS1959

Welcome to the forum!

I wonder if people have much hiring experience at all... The cost of recruiting kerbals is outrageously high... even if I don't account the fact that we get payed if we rescue Kerbals from LKO. It's an easy mission and virtually any number of such contracts can be done in one launch. As we don't have to feed them, it's easy to quickly end up with 30+ kerbals just by picking one or two up when going to or returning from missions.

New applicants are too expensive. Rescue some scientists from orbit. Of course, you can't pick which ones are scientists before you rescue them, but there has to be some sort of challenge. :kiss:

Best option: Get the Custom Barn Kit mod and use it to make Kerbal recruits cost a flat, low fee. Which is only reasonably, considering they have zero skills when they show up so there's no reason to pay them much if at all. I have my recruit cost set at $10K which never changes. That's what I pay the pressgangs and prison wardens for warm bodies :)

They don't need rescuing as such, they're both on extended missions (and have enough fuel left to get back to Kerbin when the missions are over), just wondered if there was a way to get more applicants... I'm playing the Science game so costs aren't a problem.

They don't need rescuing as such, they're both on extended missions (and have enough fuel left to get back to Kerbin when the missions are over), just wondered if there was a way to get more applicants... I'm playing the Science game so costs aren't a problem.

Oh. Right. I assumed Career Mode. You get contracts to rescue Kerbals. It's a cheap way to get new astronauts. I haven't played science mode since career mode came out.

If cost is not a problem, I think you might also be able to hire all the current applicants, then exit and return to the astronaut complex. I believe the game generates a new list if it's empty (at least it used to, haven't checked in 1.0). Once you get the folks you want, you can fire the ones you hired and don't want. You do have to make sure you exit the astro complex in between hirings and firings though, in order to force the lists to update.

Cheers,

-Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.